• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I met another INGOer at the new Cabela's in Noblesville to trade some ammo, and after the deal, I went inside to have a peek, since I've never been. The store seems nice enough, good selection of stuff, but some of their prices are absolutely bananas.

In particular, there was an M1 Garand, I'd guess service grade looking it over, nothing too terribly special as far as I could tell. They were asking $2899. That's literally $2000 more than you would pay from the CMP for a comparable rifle. What the actual hell?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yet someone will probably buy it...who's never heard of CMP.

I don't mind going to browse but have rarely seen anything that would make me bite (okay...NEVER). I guess it's their taxidermy tax.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So I met another INGOer at the new Cabela's in Noblesville to trade some ammo, and after the deal, I went inside to have a peek, since I've never been. The store seems nice enough, good selection of stuff, but some of their prices are absolutely bananas.

In particular, there was an M1 Garand, I'd guess service grade looking it over, nothing too terribly special as far as I could tell. They were asking $2899. That's literally $2000 more than you would pay from the CMP for a comparable rifle. What the actual hell?

I have one worth that, honest. :) Actually it is worth more than most Garands as it is a high 6 million number and original configuration and not national match.

I have gotten some good deal on used guns from Cabela's like a Margolin Olympic Target Pistol complete with box for about 300 less than it is worth.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    When it comes to used firearms, Cabela's can be very hit or miss with prices. The one up in Hammond has two M1917 Enfield rifles for about $1200 each (I picked up my beat up first month production Eddystone for $600 and change there). 7-digit serials, very little wear, very little historical value, though very clean, but about $300-400 too steep in price. Sitting right next to them is a Springfield, a more common and desirable firearm for most American collectors, for a flat $1000. The logic of this still escapes me. Gunbroker or Armslist typically have much better prices

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I like Cabelas for their ammo prices. They have some of the best prices on handgun ammo when it is on sale. As for guns, Cabelas has better prices than Gander Mountain.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I worked at Gander Mountain for a year a while back, and I don't have much good to say about them. But while the prices were certainly inflated, they weren't $2000 over market value inflated.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Cabela's prices are so high because everyone gets those points to redeem at Christmas. If you don't spend money, you get no money back!

If you look through their "gun library" you're going to see some crazy prices. Many of the folks shopping there (and I'd bet the majority of employees) know little to anything about guns and their values, especially used historical and surplus guns. The shoppers have more money than time and the employees don't care because it's just a job. There is, however, a separate manager for their library. That's the dude you need to talk to. Typically his office is through the library door. There's actually a little room off to the side where negotiations (hear that? NEGOTIATIONS!) can take place.

Walk in, tell that dude you can get one at CMP for $XXX and he may just bargain with you. More than likely he'll tell you this particular one came from a private collection and he can't drop the price that low but he can drop a grand off the Garand. If you get to know that guy and deal with him a bit, you'll get all the updates and notifications when something nice comes in. As far as I know, that's the only guy in the store who will know how to wheel and deal on used guns. The dept manager can knock off some $ but the gun library dude (I forget his official title but it's on the door) can make things happen.

No matter what... get them points!

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    I've been in there twice now. Just can't get myself to buy any of their overpriced items. The same decent cleaning kit I looked at was 40% lower online at a number of other retailers. A pair of boots was over 50% cheaper elsewhere. They may have okay ammo prices, but I cannot see myself buying anything there in the future unless it's a decent item at a decent sale price. That place is going to have the biggest line for the Black Friday sale, you can count on that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've never been to Cabelas or any other big store like it. All of my gun purchases have either come from LGS or trade. I've got good deals both ways.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne

Isn't it terrible? The bigger the company, the higher the price. They buy in bulk at the cheapest prices, then ask the highest prices for it. They do occaisonally have ok prices on ammo. But then again, I bought a box of 20 00-buck shells at their store and it's like $2 cheaper on their own website.... I've been thinking about a Socom 16 for awhile. You can get them for about 1400 online or even at a local shop here. Yet its 1800 at Cabelas. It's a cool place to hang out and walk around. But if you know what you're doing, you won't buy much from them.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's a cool place to hang out and walk around. But if you know what you're doing, you won't buy much from them.

Bingo. Same as the catalogs from a dozen places.

Awesome shopping, but I just don't buy it.

-Nate

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I made the trek last week preparing for the Proteq shoot. I saw the ammo was about $4 higher per box of 100, so I passed. I had never noticed clays outside of Gander, etc, so I bought a box of 48 90mm clays for $15 including tax and rounding up. Yes, This was my first box ever of clays. (I always just shot at clubs where they provided the targets)

I get to walmart and what do I notice while waiting on someone to sell me my ammo? a HUGE stack of clays... $10/90. :facepalm:

On top of that I got to Proteq and broke them open only to find out I had bought smaller than I expected. These were about 3/4 the size of standard clays. We still had fun making them fly. Live and learn. :dunno:

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Only buy with my club points.

Prime recent example was my new trolling motor. Amazon was 80 bucks cheaper with free shipping. On my door step in two days.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have bought quite afew guns from Cabelas. I generally go there and pull up pricing on my phone while I browse. They are about 5 minutes from where I used to live so it was quite convenient. I have over paid on a few things, but I've also gotten some that no one else had at the time.

I got my Ruger SP101 from there when a guy from the nearest small gunshop said he couldn't even find one.

Hit or miss. I generally price shop when I'm there. I do buy ammo there mostly. Pretty decent prices generally.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I made the trek last week preparing for the Proteq shoot. I saw the ammo was about $4 higher per box of 100, so I passed. I had never noticed clays outside of Gander, etc, so I bought a box of 48 90mm clays for $15 including tax and rounding up. Yes, This was my first box ever of clays. (I always just shot at clubs where they provided the targets)

I get to walmart and what do I notice while waiting on someone to sell me my ammo? a HUGE stack of clays... $10/90. :facepalm:

On top of that I got to Proteq and broke them open only to find out I had bought smaller than I expected. These were about 3/4 the size of standard clays. We still had fun making them fly. Live and learn. :dunno:

Rural King is the place to buy clays. That same box of Champion clays you saw at Walmart is usually $5.99 at RK :)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My daughter gave me a $25 gift certificate for fathers day this year, and I went to the new store one day last month during a trip to Ft Wayne, I got inside, and found a box of premium carry 9mm. Then I saw the line to pay was out the friggen door, so I put the ammo back and the card back in my wallet.

One of these days I will have to head back up I-69 and will try it again.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a bit of a secret for shopping at Cabela's. I buy discounted gift cards on ebay. You can get a $50 gift card for $40 and have it mailed to you. That means you automatically save 20% off the top on anything you purchase.

I bought $100 worth of gift cards for $80 and then looked for a sale on ammo. Right now they have Fiocchi 9mm marked down from $14.99 a box to $11.49. Between the sale and my discounted gift cards, I was able to buy 9 boxes of ammo for $83 with free shipping.

Top Bottom