Where can I find a lockable ammo box/can?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Where can I find a lockable ammo box/can? My wife and I are preparing for a home study thru our adoption agency, possibly end of October, and one of the guidelines is that firearms and ammo have to be locked up separately.

I currently have everything in one large gun safe. And I don't have the money to buy a second safe. So, I figured I can keep the ammo locked up in separate boxes, stored inside my safe.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most any ammo can accepts a padlock. If you are like me, you have a whole box of those freebie cable "gun locks".

Will you be required to unload and lock up your carry and ammo (separately) when not on you?

I think I saw a stack of metal ammo cans at Menards a few weeks ago.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Locking file cabinet or a $100 stack on gun cabinet were my first 2 thoughts. How much ammo are we looking at here?
    I bought my parents a small fire safe about the size of a dorm fridge for under $200.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Most any ammo can accepts a padlock. If you are like me, you have a whole box of those freebie cable "gun locks".

Will you be required to unload and lock up your carry and ammo (separately) when not on you?

I think I saw a stack of metal ammo cans at Menards a few weeks ago.

The normal metal cans will accept a pad lock? I thought you had to modify them? (I don't have ANY cans).

I really have no idea about my carry gun. They just asked if I had any firearms.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, drip me in bacon grease and call me Rhino...

No tab for a padlock on mine. I would have SWORN there was. Looks like it is easy to add one, though.

Wonder what kind of can I was thinking of?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When my sister adopted I don't recall hearing how they kept coming back throughout the years.

It has been a while though. Her youngest is grown with a couple kids so things could be different. As much as they charge for the process you should have lifetime baby sitting with it as well.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    Three-fiddy at Rural King (on sale):
    Bear Arms Field Ammo Can Box ACGRN by Retail Factory Direct for $3.99 in Gun Cases - Hunting - Sporting Goods : Rural King

Has a tabs for a padlock. Maybe that is what I was thinking of....

I highly recommend these. I bought 15 of them when Rural King had their 12% rebate going on. Very nice can for the money. Has gasket to keep out moisture and a tab for padlock. And they are stack-able. I just stack mine two deep in the bottom of the safe. If they have to be kept separate from the guns though. I would recommend something like this Tough Box . Used to store my ammo in one of those before I had a big enough safe it weighed enough with all my ammo in it that no one was walking off with it easily.

Top Bottom