Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Geek in Paradise!

Built My Own Shooting Bench - Pictures

In the past, when I’ve wanted to sight-in a firearm, I’ve used a small wooden table or the back of the 4-wheeler. The height wasn’t right and it made the sighting-in process less enjoyable.

So I decided to build a simple wooden shooting bench and stool. It was modeled after the benches at the Atterbury shooting range. (Thanks to joslar15 for the pictures!)

Here are pictures of the bench I built. I decided to have a separate stool so I could move it around where I wanted it and to reduce the weight of the main bench. (It’s still pretty heavy!)

Overall dimensions of the bench and stool.

Here is a pic of the underside to show how it was built.

The bench is made of treated lumber and is a fairly simple design. The pictures show the overall dimensions and how the pieces go together. I opted for the three leg design because the table will sit on the ground and will be moved from place to place. The three legs won’t rock even if the ground is uneven. (The extra 4x4 angle bracing is overkill that I added to appease my engineering OCD tendencies.)

After it sits outside for a few weeks to dry completely, I plan to stain it with a wood stain/preservative like you would put on a deck.

I estimate the materials cost to make the basic bench and stool to be approximately $70. The stain/sealer is about $15. The extra bracing is about $13.

In its first use last weekend, it was very comfortable and I enjoyed having enough tabletop space for my shooting stuff and still have room for a small spotting scope!

I worked from a hand sketch so I don’t have drawings. If you are interested in building one of your own and you need more information than the pictures, contact me here on INGO.

Last edited by lovemywoods; 06-11-2009 at 20:49.

Nice job Dave. Glad the pictures were helpful!
    "Life's too short for front-wheel drive!" - Sabine Schmitz

Nice Work!
    "For those few who have fought for it, freedom has such a sweet taste that those protected will never know." (author unknown)

It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive. (author unknown)

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefore. U.S. Supreme Court, Murdock v. PA, 1943

oh that is very nice job well done +1

Great Job
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

Looks Great!
    Need gear and accessories?
    Click---> Indiana Supply Depot

Originally Posted by samrothstein01 http://ingunowners.com/forums/images...s/viewpost.gif
    As much as I hate to admit it, I trust Cwood's expertise.
    Originally said by Jeff the waiter http://ingunowners.com/forums/images...s/viewpost.gif
    No one puts Baby in the corner!

Cool bench ! Since it's heavy you could get some wheels and mount them under the front (42" side) and rig some type of handle under the back (18" side) and it would make moving it easier .

Also , you could rig a hook on the cross brace of the legs and mount an eye bolt on your stool to be able to move them both at the same time .

Just a thought .

Geek in Paradise!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ADMNLOVER View Post
    Since it's heavy you could get some wheels and mount them under the front (42" side) and rig some type of handle under the back (18" side) and it would make moving it easier .

Also , you could rig a hook on the cross brace of the legs and mount an eye bolt on your stool to be able to move them both at the same time .
    Thanks for the ideas! For now, if it's a close move, I just drag it. For greater distances I suspend it from the front end loader of my tractor! (Love my Kubota!)

Awesome bench! That is exactly what I need to build!
    Government hasn't stopped working it's just stopped working for us....

If guns kill people then pencils misspell words.....
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywoods View Post
    Thanks for the ideas! For now, if it's a close move, I just drag it. For greater distances I suspend it from the front end loader of my tractor! (Love my Kubota!)

Gotta love power equipment !

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast