• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    How do Gander's prices really stack up?

I don't know of too many places to buy a handgun in Indy and Gander is the closest to me. When I do finely purchase a carry gun this summer I want to know I'm not getting taken. I have done some online re-search and it seems like their prices are a little on the high end as with most of their stuff. Am I wrong? Is there a better place I should be shopping for a handgun???

Thanks,
    -K

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Is there a way to move this to the proper section? I'm new posted wrong spot... my bad guys!

-K

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I made that post not taking into account if you are a new shooter or not. If you know exactly what you want there are probably better deals around town than Gander. Best thing would be to buy used FTF

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    I didnt mean you posted in the wrong section. Just wanted to let you know there is a section where you can find a list on gun shops and info (good,bad&ugly)

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    How are their prices?
    I've been to two Gander Mtn stores in the last couple of years each time it's been the same.
    Last time, as I looked over the guns, I kept thinking how high they were. Then I came to a new Colt Gov't Model that was about $75 less than I had seen one anywhere in recent weeks. I kept looking and found a Beretta A391 shotgun at a good price also. Everything else was priced higher than in most shops.
    No ryhme or reason.

The time before, in another store, they had several Kimbers at really good prices, but everything else was too high.

Some places are like that. There might be a deal among all the other stuff, but maybe there isn't, and it takes a lot of looking to find it. And then, you need to know ahead of time what you want and be ready to pay cash for it, becuase you want get much good advice and less deal-making.

But that said- I wish I had grabbed that Colt 1911 that time.

Gander must get it from how they've always done things.
    When I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago, I used to go up the Gander Mtn's orignal store in Wilmot,WI a few times a year. Mostly, it was to hit their Clearance Center and I got some really good deals there on scopes and reloading equipment (I guess it's easier to put the returned mail order stuff on the shelf for next to nothing than to figure out what it's really worth). But I always checked their guns, and it was the same way there: mostly overpriced with one or two deals in the whole section. This was 15-20 years ago now, and they appear to be doing things the same way now.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    When Gander Mountain first came to Indy there seemed to be some firearm bargains but as time progressed those bargains seemed to disappear. The Gander in Terre Haute seems to be very expensive but they have the largest gun selection around. When I'm Jonesing for a gun, I walk the aisles at Gander until my senses return :rolleyesedit:

I do not buy 100 dollar tennis shoes or 60 dollar jeans for myself so my Gander experience is limited to the clearance items that are marked at least 60 to 75% Off and those are few and far between :xmad:

GLOCKT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Southside Indpls
    Is this Gander south or Gander north?
    If your a southsider you should try to stop by Elmores on 135.
    They're a mile west of Greenwood Park mall on 135 right behind Mikes carwash.
    Elmores has decent prices,big selection of new and used guns.
    Low end pistols to top dollar pistols,all around good store to browse.
    Gander north your on your own there,I'm a southsider and only work up in the Castleton area.
    Good Luck!

Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    I think the prices are very high at the store in Evansville. There are deals to be had however. They had a gently used HK P7M8 priced at $1650.00. Way too high. One Saturday I went in and they were adveritising a "Gun Show" special for used guns. I bought it for $1100. bucks. The salesman said that was 1% over their cost.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I think the prices are very high at the store in Evansville. There are deals to be had however. They had a gently used HK P7M8 priced at $1650.00. Way too high. One Saturday I went in and they were advertising a "Gun Show" special for used guns. I bought it for $1100. bucks. The salesman said that was 1% over their cost.

Great Score :thumbsup:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First of all, take your time. Don't get that money burning in your pocket urge to buy. Visit several shops to compare selection, prices and the store's policies.

Note- Lots of big chain stores have a no return policy on firearms. So you have to deal with the manufacturer if you bring it home and it won't work. Some smaller shops have a 30 day return policy.

Take anything a salesman tells you, other than price, with a grain of salt and NEVER BUY ON THE FIRST VISIT. Go home and research what you've discovered online. Hell, post a question here. People will help you.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    The only guy I ever see at our Gander Mountain is more interested in doing anything but selling guns.

Their prices are high compared to what I see in other local shop. Even their ammo is noticeably more expensive than everywhere else local to me.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Fenway,

not a new shooter, just don't own a carry gun.
    ______

One of the people most responsible for my interest in shooting works for gander (Gander north; castleton, I work at D's Sporting Goods in the summer if any of y'all wanna swing by the rock wall and give er' a try!) in the gun department. I trust his judgement and I trust him not to screw me, but his employer is a whole different ball game.

Just some background to clarify. I have been shooting since I was 11 Hunt on occasion and have been researching CC guns for over two years. I frequent other gun forums and stop in gun stores and pawn shops as often as possible to shoot the sh*t with the resident gun guy. I feel like I have learned a lot, but I know there is always more to learn.

I turn 21 in June and plan on buying a gun soon after, as with everything else in this process I am trying to be a thorough as possible. I appreciate all the feedback, it was a big help. I know of Don's guns, Gander and Pop guns in Indy... am I missing any? I work at D's but they we don't sell hand guns.

Thanks,
    K

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Their prices vary at the store in Merrillville IN. But really any face to face deal with another IN resident can usually beat any gun store's price.

I've seen a lnib g19 with night sights for for $450, but they sell new ones no night sights for $599:noway:

I've sold to them:

g21sf - $475
    hk usp SS with n/s - $600
    kahr k9 - $430

I always say buy from the lowest priced places and sell to the highest, if for some reason you don't like it.

Top Bottom