• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    My Fiancee and I are still waiting on our permits; can we shoot at eagle creek (or atterbury, etc.) now, or do we have to wait? I can go out to my parents, but it's a long drive and we were hoping to do some shooting tomorrow if the weather was good enough.

Thanks!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sorry, Indiana law requires a permit to leave your residence with a handgun (unless you're moving or taking it to a gun shop for repair).

There is no exception for target practice or a safety class (the latter I tried my best, my senator introduced it, but it never went very far... SB0183).

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Find someone who has a permit and they can take your guns to the range and back for you. I've done it for several folks around here.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Yes you can. Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    The range charges correct? If so then it is considered a business and that is allowed. secure the guns in your truck and put the unloaded clips in the glove box.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

All due respect, but I believe the statute will be interpreted as the person in possession of the firearm must either have a permit, or a place of business.... not taking the firearm to another person's place of business.

Disclaimer.......... I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'd check it out before I risked getting busted for an incorrect assumption.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    All due respect, but I believe the statute will be interpreted as the person in possession of the firearm must either have a permit, or a place of business.... not taking the firearm to another person's place of business.

Disclaimer.......... I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'd check it out before I risked getting busted for an incorrect assumption.
    Yea, I believe you are correct.

I don't understand the law though. How is someone that keeps the firearm specifically for home defense, supposed to train and practice shooting if they can't leave the house with it to go to the range, without a permit. :rolleyesedit:

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    All due respect, but I believe the statute will be interpreted as the person in possession of the firearm must either have a permit, or a place of business.... not taking the firearm to another person's place of business.[quote+Jay;48621]
    :thumbsup::+1:

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    put the gun in the trunk. keep the ammo separate from the gun. don't speed. don't be a jack ass. don't do drugs. and have fun shooting

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    put the gun in the trunk. keep the ammo separate from the gun. don't speed. don't be a jack ass. don't do drugs. and have fun shooting

I agree. Follow these rules and the issue will not arise.

I might add, put a lock across the handle of that case.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    If I'm reading the Federal law correctly. A state can not prevent you from transporting a firearm locked and unloaded in your car.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]First, here is a topic from the BATF Site FAQ's Section:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica](B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]purposes?[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]destination.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Here is the actual Federal law they refer to. I give all my friends and customer's a card with this printed on it to stick in with each firearm they are transporting just in case they need to educate local officials:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]§ 178.38 Transportation of firearms.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]container other than the glove compartment or console.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica](A good synonym for Notwithstanding is Despite)[/FONT]

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ...notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any politicalsubdivision thereof...

Notwithstanding also means "does not withstand (resist the effect of/stop or obstruct the course of)".

In that sense "[federal law] does not stop the effect of State or local law to the contrary."

To use an example... Notwithstanding their youth, the high school team beat the local college team.

In this example the age of the high school players did not stand in the way of their success, like the federeal law does not get in the way of State or local laws to the contrary.

Last edited:

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Get a permit. Problem solved. No reason not to.

I did, but I won't have it until, ~June? That's 2-3 months I would like to be shooting. Thanks for the responses. I had always heard that locked in the trunk was fine (although technically illegal).

JRG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Don't give the Police a reason to stop you and don't do anything that would give them the OK to search your vehicle.....

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Unless something has changed out there, they have never asked me for my permit. You just show up, sign in, pay and shoot.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Here's what I always tell folks - unload the gun, put it in a case, lock it in your trunk. Put the ammo in a separate place. Don't do anything to attract the nice policeman's attention. Come out and have fun.

Yeah, technically at least a Hunting and Target shooting license is needed to transport to and from the range. Practically speaking, cops have better things to do with their time.

In 5 years, I've never asked to see a LTCH, it isn't in our SOP.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Here's what I always tell folks - unload the gun, put it in a case, lock it in your trunk. Put the ammo in a separate place. Don't do anything to attract the nice policeman's attention. Come out and have fun.

Yeah, technically at least a Hunting and Target shooting license is needed to transport to and from the range. Practically speaking, cops have better things to do with their time.

In 5 years, I've never asked to see a LTCH, it isn't in our SOP.

So are you a cop then?

Top Bottom