• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It was a lovely day today so I took off work early (planned last week) to avoid the crowds at Sugar Ridge in Pike County and do some shooting. The last few times I have went the DNR has showed up to check that everyone has a range card while there. Today a guy comes and checks and sees I have my SR40C on my hip and tells me I must remove it. Never have had a problem before so I ask why and he states range rules and points me to a paper posted on one bench with the rules. So only police in uniform and on duty are allowed to carry in holsters. :n00b: So I unholstered and went back to shooting.

My question to INGO, since this is a Indiana Fish and Wildlife owned (public) range is this rule legal?

The old guy shooting .22 was happy I brought an extra set of hearing protection when I opened up with the GP100.

A pooper scooper works good for picking up brass without having to bend down.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    yOU should carry some double sided sticky tape and then proceed to put a piece on your forehead and attach your pistol. THen you can ask "There, you happy?"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, it appears "Indiana Fish and Wildlife" is a forest managed by IDNR in Warrick and Pike Counties. Thus, it is state property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSalgMNI83c

since this is a Indiana Fish and Wildlife owned (public) range is this rule legal?

Yes. Preemption means that no one but the State of Indiana may regulate firearms. As Sugar Ridge is the State of Indiana, it is kosher.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They probably just don't want people to draw and shoot. Isn't this a pretty common rule among the various shooting ranges?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Ok, it appears "Indiana Fish and Wildlife" is a forest managed by IDNR in Warrick and Pike Counties. Thus, it is state property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSalgMNI83c

Yes. Preemption means that no one but the State of Indiana may regulate firearms. As Sugar Ridge is the State of Indiana, it is kosher.

Thanks. Glad I asked, now I'll remember to unholster when there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They probably just don't want people to draw and shoot. Isn't this a pretty common rule among the various shooting ranges?

None I have been to. No drawing? Yes. None in the holster period? No. Closest thing is a cold range during a competition. And those are usually in the holster but empty.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, I meant the drawing thing.
    Yes, many have a no draw policy. Some have an unwritten rule and if you ask pretty please they will tell you "just be safe. Its not a race". Others make you take a class from them first before you are allowed to. So its all over the board.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Same Rule at Roush Lake Range. Roush is on Federal Property, since the State gave it back to the Army Corps of Engineers. Roush has Range Masters on Duty whenever it's open. I've seen them help out countless new Shooters. They also Raise Cain with those that ignore the Rules.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    yOU should carry some double sided sticky tape and then proceed to put a piece on your forehead and attach your pistol. THen you can ask "There, you happy?"

This.......or just tie one end of a piece of string around the trigger guard and the other around a belt loop, making sure the string is just long enough to keep the gun from dragging the ground.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ......................... They also Raise Cain with those that ignore the Rules.

As well they should! Idiots nearly resulted in the closing of the Crosley F&W range. You know the ones who think it's funny to shoot holes in the rules signs! The same ones who take the stools from behind the benches and use them to prop up targets half way to the target line. Thankfully, DNR now has a RO on duty when the range is open.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom