• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I have a friend/neighbor who has an elderly relative in California that no longer wants/needs their firearms (Glock, rifle and 2 shotguns). He was told they are his if he wants them, which he does. I have searched through the forum this morning without much luck in helping him figure out how best to gain possession. Should he provide shipping funds and ask relative to pre-pack and ship, or arrange FFL to FFL transfer, etc...?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Unless he is a son or grandson the transaction will need to go threw a FFL. If he is shipping them out of state I think he will need to go threw FFL. If he is a grandson/son I think he can just drive out of the state with them. I'd ask a California FFL.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Federally I believe, if he has inherited them (bequeathed), then they are his. If he wants to go pick them up, he can - no FFL necessary. If doesn't want to make the trip personally, then they can b shipped thru an ffl.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Federally I believe, if he has inherited them (bequeathed), then they are his. If he wants to go pick them up, he can - no FFL necessary. If doesn't want to make the trip personally, then they can b shipped thru an ffl.
    Best to ship using an FFL than run afoul of the ATF

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    California law only applies if you are actually there. Put them in the trunk, locked up, like you would normally do if transporting guns over a state line. They are your guns. Grandma gifted when to you. Get the hell out of there and back to a free state.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    California law only applies if you are actually there. Put them in the trunk, locked up, like you would normally do if transporting guns over a state line. They are your guns. Grandma gifted when to you. Get the hell out of there and back to a free state.

And STFU before and after.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm not sure in what scenario driving to California, picking up the guns, and then driving back to Indiana, will be cheaper than having a local FFL in California ship them to an FFL in Indiana. Unless you find two particularly greedy and gouging FFLs, it's going to be way cheaper to have them ship them between each other... particularly because they can easily ship them using USPS and avoid all the expenses that UPS and FedEX like to tack on ("Shipping a firearm? You must ship super duper light speed overnight for the low price of $300").

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Only if the original owner is dead. Absent special circumstances (trusts), you cant inherit something while the owners alive.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Unless he is a son or grandson the transaction will need to go threw a FFL. If he is shipping them out of state I think he will need to go threw FFL. If he is a grandson/son I think he can just drive out of the state with them. I'd ask a California FFL.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

No, son/grandson is not a thing, unless the owner is dead and the son/grandson has specifically been bequeathed them either spelled out in a will or if they are the inheritor of the whole estate. Interstate transfers require an FFL, and there is no exceptions for family.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    For another example, say grandpa dies, your dad is the sole inheritor of his estate, but wants you to have his guns. The guns would go straight to your dad with no FFL, but if you didn't live in the same state as your father, they would have to go through an FFL. If grandpa had specified in his will that you get the guns, they'd go straight to you without an FFL.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm not sure in what scenario driving to California, picking up the guns, and then driving back to Indiana, will be cheaper than having a local FFL in California ship them to an FFL in Indiana. Unless you find two particularly greedy and gouging FFLs, it's going to be way cheaper to have them ship them between each other... particularly because they can easily ship them using USPS and avoid all the expenses that UPS and FedEX like to tack on ("Shipping a firearm? You must ship super duper light speed overnight for the low price of $300").
    And this exemplifies the point that I was trying to make. You don't need an FFL to ship to another FFL. No need to pay FFL fees on both ends...again, know the laws. The firearm(s) only need to be shipped TO an FFL in order for the transfer to be done legally. ANYONE can ship a firearm to an FFL.

Top Bottom