• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My son and I were out shooting our 9mm pistols, on the home range, last week and after about a hundred rounds, we noticed night crawlers popping up on top of the grass.
    Anyone else ever notice this?

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I've noticed the same phenomenon while mowing grass. Worms come up and birds start swarming the lawn. My theory is that the sound mimics thunder and lightening and the worms dont wanna get drowned so they come up.

Kind of like how wormers can bring up worms with a washing board and stick.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ahhh, don't get me started on moles. Lol I trapped 36 of them little buggers, in my yard, last year. Got that down to a science.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    My son and I were out shooting our 9mm pistols, on the home range, last week and after about a hundred rounds, we noticed night crawlers popping up on top of the grass.
    Anyone else ever notice this?

I have seen it many times in the past. The funniest ones where when we would do our New Years Eve shoots and they would crawl out in January. I think the vibrations in the ground make them thing it is a mole.

On a side not. Any of you guys ever cut a bunch of lumber outside using a circular saw and notice the flies seem to swarm around the saw while it is running?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    On the road. Will write up a "tutorial" when I get in. Trapped 36 off of about one acre of my three acre property.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I use the Victor spring traps with the six spikes on them. Locate the straightest part of a run that you can find. Take your heel and push down a small spot in the run. Shove the unset trap into the run with the pan over the spot that you pushed down with your heel. Make sure that the spikes go into ground, fully. Now pull up and set the trap.
    That's the technical part. Now, for the secret "ingredient" Very important, Daniel San!
    When you see the trap is sprung, stick your finger down into the run, just outside the spikes, on both sides of the trap. You will feel if there is a mole in there. MANY times they are not dead, just caught. If you don't feel and you just pull the trap out, off down the tunnel they go.
    And no, I have never been bitten by doing this. If there is a mole and it's not dead, dig it out from his butt end.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I tried those spring traps with the spikes several times with no luck. I finally found the mole eliminator and it's made in America. It's the easiest ever. U just find a new run jam the scissors in the ground step on it and you get a mole every time if it's an active run. If nothing in 24 hours just move it and you will get your mole. I love these traps.

Thanks for the tip on the spike trap. Maybe I was letting them go every time.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use the Victor spring traps with the six spikes on them. Locate the straightest part of a run that you can find. Take your heel and push down a small spot in the run. Shove the unset trap into the run with the pan over the spot that you pushed down with your heel. Make sure that the spikes go into ground, fully. Now pull up and set the trap.
    That's the technical part. Now, for the secret "ingredient" Very important, Daniel San!
    When you see the trap is sprung, stick your finger down into the run, just outside the spikes, on both sides of the trap. You will feel if there is a mole in there. MANY times they are not dead, just caught. If you don't feel and you just pull the trap out, off down the tunnel they go.
    And no, I have never been bitten by doing this. If there is a mole and it's not dead, dig it out from his butt end.
    Thanks, I have several spike traps but I generally came up empty handed. Maybe I was "letting them go".

I guess I'll give them another try; after a few years of being mole-free, it seems they've invaded my yard once again...

I tried those spring traps with the spikes several times with no luck. I finally found the mole eliminator and it's made in America. It's the easiest ever. U just find a new run jam the scissors in the ground step on it and you get a mole every time if it's an active run. If nothing in 24 hours just move it and you will get your mole. I love these traps.

Thanks for the tip on the spike trap. Maybe I was letting them go every time.
    Thanks for that, I've wondered if those were better than the spike traps.

Top Bottom