Are private sales across state lines legal for Long Guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I swear I read good post about buying guns from private individuals across state lines but I can't find it. I found what may be a good deal across the border on a long gun and can't remember/find the rules. I know you have to go through an FFL for handguns across state lines but can't remember for long guns. Help.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    no

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

"2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individualwho does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfullytransfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to aFederal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may thenreceive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS backgroundcheck. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov andhttp://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from thisprohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, forexample, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception isprovided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition byintestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident whoinherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)."

Top Bottom