• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Makes sense to me. The only thing I noticed was it seems to be valid only for CHL's issued on or after March 23, 2015.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) published an open letter to Ohio Federal Firearm Licensees (FFLs) notifying them that, effective immediately, they may accept a valid Ohio concealed handgun license issued on or after March 23, 2015 in lieu of conducting a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Isn't this the license that you also have to apply for every six years?

And there is a training requirement for the license also.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It will not happen in Indiana as long as we do not require training to receive a license.
    It's not right, but that's the way it is.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It will not happen in Indiana as long as we do not require training to receive a license.
    It's not right, but that's the way it is.
    An NCIS check doesn't require training to proceed with a firearm purchase. This is about passing a background check.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    An NCIS check doesn't require training to proceed with a firearm purchase. This is about passing a background check.

Thats correct, Ohio had to prove to the federal gov that the background check done for permits was as good as a NICS check. Training requirement for the permit is irrelevant. I like the direction this state is going for gun owners.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thats correct, Ohio had to prove to the federal gov that the background check done for permits was as good as a NICS check. Training requirement for the permit is irrelevant. I like the direction this state is going for gun owners.

Now if you can just do something about that group of criminals at the horsehoe.......:).

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    How does Indiana's backround check compare to the NICS check? Its been several years but I don't remember as many questions

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Isn't this the license that you also have to apply for every six years?

Five years, I think, and that's the key to why Ohio licenses after a certain date can be NICS-exempt, but most of our Indiana LTCHs can never be.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.125 Application and licensing process. (Ohio licenses "shall expire five years after the date of issuance.")

According to the ATF, a "Permanent Brady Permit" must "for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance".

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

So an Indiana Lifetime LTCH would never be valid for NICS exemption, per the ATF.

That's not what the actual Brady Law says, but I'm not sure that really helps us long term. Even if the ATF were forced to follow the law instead of their own interpretation of it, your LTCH would theoretically only be valid for NICS exemption for the first five years you have it. 18 USC 922 says a "permit" is valid for getting you out of the NICS check if, among other things (e.g., the background check) it "was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place".

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would gladly trade you a 'NICS-compliant LTCH' for a 'no gun signs lack the force of law'. I'd even put some money with that deal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I would gladly trade you a 'NICS-compliant LTCH' for a 'no gun signs lack the force of law'. I'd even put some money with that deal

I'm with you on that one...

the NCIS checks are inconvenient for the occasional firearm purchased from an FFL, but we're always having to look for the stupid signs...

One step at a time.

Top Bottom