• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Well, it was really a matter of time, but a I had a first today: I was doing a FTF purchase of a handgun and met up with the fellow in a public place. All details on the transaction had been worked out in advance, due diligence performed, date, time, location, Check.

I arrive, we greet and do the usual parking lot exchange, I open my trunk and set the pistol inside to inspect it. Mrs Subic has me covered from the car and is waiting patiently. I open the case and I'm very happy with the new condition of my pistol purchase, as advertised. I'm excited that I got a good deal and I'm ready to proceed:

Colonel Cooper, is that you sir? (fate has now joined our transaction)

I am going through the usual paces, I safety check the weapon and something different happened this time.

A shiny, brass shell did it's best impersonation of Simone Biles and tumbled end over end into the recess of my trunk. The seller was shocked and mumbled an apology. I proceed without much fanfare and concluded this pistol is the one for me. I finish my business, take my new pistol home, clean it and hit the range.

Now, the After Action Report. Safety checking a firearm is 2nd nature to me, I do it and re-do ad nauseum, to the point of OCD.

Today it paid off. The seller handed me a loaded pistol and told me it was unloaded because he forgot the 1st rule. Fortunately for everyone involved, I did not.

So, has anyone else had the pleasure of having a loaded weapon handed to them during a sale, either private party or at a gun store?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When I hand someone a pistol, I check the chamber first.
    Then, typically, they will check it again.
    And that's how is should be.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Shoot! I shaved this morning (as I do every day) so I can not argue with you.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    One thing my father always taught me, when handing a firearm to another make sure the chamber is in the open locked position. Same as in the military.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    4:rules:

You mean
    • Stop the bleeding
    • Clear the airway
    • Protect the wound
    • Treat for shock

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I was shocked today while looking at a rifle today at a sporting goods store. I knew the guy that came to help me. He isn't a gun guy but was called to assist. He found the one I was looking for and before handing me the rifle, he opened the bolt and checked before handing to me. Like others have said, even though I watched him open the action and could tell it was clear, I still checked for myself. Even though the gun counter isn't his department, he was trained on what do. There is not such thing as being too careful!!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    All guns are not always loaded. In fact, I find it rather difficult to keep them loaded through the unloading process.

Silly notion.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One thing my father always taught me, when handing a firearm to another make sure the chamber is in the open locked position. Same as in the military.

Amen! I always, always, ALWAYS remove the magazine and lock the slide back on a pistol or swing the cylinder out on a revolver, and even then handle it as if it were loaded, before I hand it to somebody. Seeing the aftermath of a clerk in a pawnshop handing a loaded .357 to an equally ignorant customer has stuck with me since 1969. Bullet caught the clerk in the forehead from just across the counter. "Mess" barely describes it!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Whenn I hand somene a pistol, I check the chamber first.
    Then, typically, they will check it again.
    Andt hats how is should be.

If YOU don't open the gun, semi, or rev., I will NOT accept it from you .....

AND, you had better POINT it somewhere ELSE, when YOU check it !!!!!

AND, the SLIDE, BETTER LOCK OPEN !!!!!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Preach on, fellow Gunner's Mate.
    I normally stood watch as roving security, and it was required that we always first eject the magazine (if inserted), lock back the slide, then both visually and tactically check the chamber in a well lit area (this was an around-the-clock watch, so this included nighttime naturally), before handing the gun with the slide of the gun (1911A1, M14, Remington 870, Mossberg 500) still open for the relieving watch to repeat the process before holstering the gun and assuming the watch.
    In all those years, the only incident (not safety-related, btw) occurred when I checked the magazine of the M14 I was to take for watch and found that there was one round missing from the magazine, probably because one of the previous dumbasses on watch had been fidgeting with the magazine out of the rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Here's one.....

Guy brings in a rifle to sell. States price. Gunshop dude opens action and sees nothing in the mag or chamber (looking at ejection port).
    Gun is in great shape, price is very good, deal is done.

In the later lull, dude takes gun to away area to inspect. Nothing in mag (may have removed mag). Looks down bore...........to inspect rifling..............can't see anything.

WTH?

Cleaning rod and a bump...............out pops a loaded 7mm 08. Gun was BAR in 7mm Rem Mag.

Old timer knew something amiss and tried to dump it, without informing purchaser.

You could see chamber rear portion...............looked empty...............but that didn't mean it was.

Top Bottom