Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Read this story this morning. :ingo:

A Record Breaking 81 Firearms Discovered in Carry-on Bags 8/23/2016
    Page Content
    Editor’s note: The following is based on the TSA Blog post of Aug. 19)

In a one week period, Aug. 12 -18, TSA discovered a record breaking 81 firearms in carry-on bags around the nation. Of the 81 firearms discovered, 70 were loaded and 31 had a round chambered. The previous record of 78 firearms was set one week earlier.

In addition to all of the other prohibited items TSA finds weekly in carry-on bags, TSA officers also regularly find firearm components, realistic replica firearms, bb and pellet guns, airsoft guns, brass knuckles, ammunition, batons, stun guns, small pocketknives and many other prohibited items too numerous to note.
    As TSA reminds the air traveling public, when packed properly, ammunition can be transported in your checked baggage, but it is never permissible to pack ammo in your carry-on bag. You can travel with your firearms in checked baggage, but they must first be declared to the airline.

Firearm possession laws vary by state and locality. Travelers should familiarize themselves with state and local firearm laws for each point of travel prior to departure.

As the TSA blog points out, “it’s great to share the things that our officers are finding, but at the same time, each time we find a dangerous item, the line is slowed down and a passenger that likely had no ill intent ends up with a citation or in some cases is even arrested. The passenger can face a penalty as high as $11,000. This is a friendly reminder to please leave these items at home. Just because we find a prohibited item on an individual does not mean they had bad intentions; that's for the law enforcement officer to decide. In many cases, people simply forgot they had these items.”

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (RITA | BTS | Transtats), a total of 631,939,829 passengers boarded domestic flights in the United States in the year 2010. This averages to 1.73 million passengers flying per day.
    1.73 million times 7 = 12,110,000 people fly per week. 83 divided by that is 0.0000068538. And this was numbers from 2010. I'd bet 2016 numbers are much higher.

Yeah it happens but it's still a very low number.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Do people really not know you can't bring it, or do they just forget they have it on them?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You can bring it to the Airport, if traveling you have to declare it to the ticket agent verifying it's properly packaged and unloaded.
    You cannot for any reason take one through the security checkpoint .
    Authorized Law Enforcement have a different protocol they use.
    If you carry in the non secure area of the airport you should be discreet as open carry will draw attention.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I guess in the volume of people flying that would be a very small percentage, but really you forgot that you had a gun going to the airport?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I guess in the volume of people flying that would be a very small percentage, but really you forgot that you had a gun going to the airport?
    I had mine properly stored in my checked bag but forgot to tell the agent until I saw the "no Berretta" sign just before getting in line for security. Probably the fastest I ever ran through an airport to get back to ticketing to let them know.
    I was really surprised how easy going the ticket agent was when I told her what happened!

Top Bottom