• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Seems of late there have been a lot more women open carrying in my area. I wonder why this is? Also I wonder if women face different challenges then men do while open carrying.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Seems of late there have been a lot more women open carrying in my area. I wonder why this is? Also I wonder if women face different challenges then men do while open carrying.

If I remember my Indiana history and license plate numbers Indiana doesn't have a Wilson County, please provide a little more info on your area.

Other than that I think this could make for a good discussion. Can women OC without having MWAG calls and the like?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I
    If I remember my Indiana history and license plate numbers Indiana doesn't have a Wilson County, please provide a little more info on your area.

Other than that I think this could make for a good discussion. Can women OC without having MWAG calls and the like?
    I am sure they could but perhaps a WWAG call. Interesting point

We live about 35 miles North East of Nashville Tennessee. To further elaborate I have noticed 3 women open carrying in two days which really is unusual.

P.S. we used to live in Porter county.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I
    I am sure they could but perhaps a WWAG call. Interesting point

We live about 35 miles North East of Nashville Tennessee. To further elaborate I have noticed 3 women open carrying in two days which really is unusual.

P.S. we used to live in Porter county.
    That explains Wilson County. Women OCing is pretty rare here too. With things going the way they are here in 2016 I'm leaning towards "show of force" more than ever. Women don't have t worry about Man With A Gun (MWAG) calls to 911 anyway.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I know women who OC. I do it on our property but not so much when we go out.

I often purse carry with a BUG in my waistband.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Women in firearms are a demographic on the rise. People getting their license to carry is also on the rise. Makes sense there would be some overlap between the two groups.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd love to see the day when anyone open carrying gets no notice at all. It's great to see more women carrying now and I am guessing that a women that open carries will get less flak than a man that OCs. When a women open carries, it's often seen as a sign of strength. When a man open carries, some (even among those in the gun community) see it as a sign of weakness. I'm guessing that it's rare for a woman that's open carrying to get accused of trying to compensate for other shortcomings.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    saw a guy and his wife OCing the other day, while not THAT unusual, I liked the fact they were (she particularly) well dressed. They fit the "normal, completely average, American", though slightly better looking that the average American... I only mention this because a couple weeks ago I saw some douche decked out head to toe in cheap "tactical" clothing head to toe OCing. The only thing missing was a leg drop holster. Its one thing if it looks like you might be some sort of professional bad ass of sorts (and I say that only to cover any exceptions), but this guy looked straight out of his mom's basement. I hate that image.

That seems horribly judgmental, but some gun owners help us take strides backward fitting a certain stereotype.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My wife and I both open carry most of the time and conceal carry when we must. She actually OC's more than I do, because most of her clothes are too tight to conceal well, while I prefer large untucked T-shirts. I, too, have seen more open carrying in general lately, though few women doing so. I tend to not be judgmental about what clothes are being worn, though I am about how the gun is carried (proper holster, belt, etc).

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Perhaps they watched the video of the tiny Asian lady that stood as tall as 3 armed hoods in her house and was able to defend herself and live to tell about it instead of becoming another statistic for gun control?

Yeah I know that just happened but more women in particular and people in general need to see that video.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I feel sure many more women are carrying than were 10 years or so ago, even in the small city where I live. I am 75 YO, wife and I (and 3 of my sons and DIL's) all have lifetime LTCH's. Wife volunteers at a local Christian charitable organization and often has older ladies and gentlemen apologize when they inadvertently expose a handgun. She just smiles and tells them it's fine and that she feels safer when citizens are armed. She has laughed at some of the fairly large revolvers she has seen in some of the 70 ~ 80 year old ladies purse when they open it to pay for their purchase!

I personally conceal carry a Kimber Solo in a Galco ITB holster, normally under a Tee shirt. I know it does become exposed occasionally, but haven't had anyone say anything. My DIL's carry, usually in their purse, but I know at least 2 do have holsters, haven't ever asked it they do wear them OC, but am sure they use the holsters some.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was buying some critical defense ammo in MC Sports when they first opened, and the guy working the gun counter told me he had a lady in her 90's that was in buying target ammo. He got a kick out of her telling him she carries a .45. I figure that will be me some day. :rockwoot:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I was buying some critical defense ammo in MC Sports when they first opened, and the guy working the gun counter told me he had a lady in her 90's that was in buying target ammo. He got a kick out of her telling him she carries a .45. I figure that will be me some day. :rockwoot:

Good for her and you!

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i cc on weekends, and open carry so i can lock up at work, work in a gravel pit so sand is a real problem. sand even gets in inside my phone, wife oc 100% usually have shirt over it.

Top Bottom