• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Side loading gates are auttle more convenient to tip off but a lever gun is suppose to be fun not "tacticool" so really not a big deal. Most of us shot the tube 22 rifles as kids with no issues. 6 of one half dozen of the other

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are you considering the Henry Long Ranger, a box magazine lever action?
    The tube magazines must use round nose or nylon nosed bullets, the box magazine can feed pointed bullets.
    The Long Ranger is offered in .308, .243, and .223 and is expected to be much more accurate than traditional lever actions, but the MSRP is over $1000.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are in a situation where you need to quickly load and disperse a round, the Henry is the fastest option. You just open the action, drop in the round, close and shoot. As mentioned above, this isn't a tactical rifle, so that isn't usually the case. The Henry is also the safest to unload, because you aren't using the action to do so.

I will say the warranty with Henry is the best I've ever seen. My 45-70 slipped out of the case from my truck and hit the ground from three feet, right on the tip of the barrel. I called them and told them exactly what happened and that it was my fault. I wanted to see how much it would cost to check it out and possibly repair. The guy sent me a shipping label and told me to just get it to them. I decided to check with them a week later, but before I could, I received an email from UPS that I had a delivery that must be signed for. It was my rifle and they replaced everything except the receiver! And they said it was covered under the warranty! So, I'm a real Henry fan even though I own a Marlin and Winchester.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    A magazine or a loading gate will be easier to load than a tube depending on what cartridges we are talking about.
    Loading a rimmed cartridge in a tube you have to twist and turn and wiggle the loading rod while pushing it closed to get passed the rim's on each round.
    You dont have that problem with a magazine ( internal mag or external) or loading gate.
    I have a friend with a bunch of Browning levers and the quality is well worth the extra money.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have several Henry rimfires and have had no issue with tube loading them. I really wanted a side loader for my .44, so I went with the Marlin despite the fit and finish not being as nice as the Henry Big Boy.

The Long Ranger will probably be my next lever rifle. After seeing one, I don't think the $1000 MSRP is out of line at all.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So, I'm a real Henry fan even though I own a Marlin and Winchester.

Que's gun tastes run similar to mine...I have got three AR's and an AK (all in 5.56) and if the SHTF I would feel just as well served with my Marlin .357 lever gun and a couple of Smith's in the same round...

Good to see a post from you Que...I hope all is well and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and yourn....:ingo:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have some different lever guns, Winchesters, Marlins and one Henry. As has been said side gate or down the tube it's just what you like as long as you are using blunt bullets. Winchester 1895's are a unique item feeding from a magazine, the rimmed cartridges load a little quirky but the guns shoot well. The Marlin's are my hunting guns, easy to scope. I have what might be considered a tactical Winchester, a long barreled 1873 that holds 18 rounds of 44-40.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have never incurred that problem with my Henry 44.

I have several Henry rimfires and have had no issue with tube loading them. I really wanted a side loader for my .44, so I went with the Marlin despite the fit and finish not being as nice as the Henry Big Boy.

The Long Ranger will probably be my next lever rifle. After seeing one, I don't think the $1000 MSRP is out of line at all.

This past summer i have watched two men struggle loading Henrys in 45-70 trying to get the tube back in the magazine. Thats all im saying.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have never incurred that problem with my Henry 44.

Have some different lever guns, Winchesters, Marlins and one Henry. As has been said side gate or down the tube it's just what you like as long as you are using blunt bullets. Winchester 1895's are a unique item feeding from a magazine, the rimmed cartridges load a little quirky but the guns shoot well. The Marlin's are my hunting guns, easy to scope. I have what might be considered a tactical Winchester, a long barreled 1873 that holds 18 rounds of 44-40.

Beautiful rifles for sure, I own a 1895 Browning in krag. It really is different to load.
    Its almost as different as my Micro Abolt in 22 Hornet, to load it you drop the floor plate down and the magazine is held with a clip to the floorplate. You pull it off and load it and snap it back on the floor plate. When i shot it the first time i was like
    " What "

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Originally I wanted loading gate nicer quality 357 lever gun. Was holding out out for Marlin or Winchester at my price. GAve up waiting and bought the Henry even though it is tube. Yes the tube hangs up once in a while on a cartridge, but practiced wiggle minimizes that. Tube is no problem, I am not second guessing my decision

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I have a Marlin in 30-30 I love. Many of the recent ones have had issues with production after Remington move production. It seems the reports that Remington has gotten the bugs worked out and the newest rifles are back up to par. If you can find a used JM stamped one its a solid rifle.

I've never shot a Henry however, I'm sure it'd be a fine rifle as well. The biggest difference between the two being the Marlin has a side loading gate while the Henry loads from the tube. As for opening the action and loading a round into the chamber, you can do that with a Marlin as well.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

Nice lineup Leadeye. :cool:

I have Savage 99s, Modern and classic Marlins, and modern and classic Winchesters. I have never owned a Winchester 1895 even though I want to.

I always like loading from a loading gate instead of loading from the tube. It just seems like a more robust way of doing it. I do love my Marlin 39 though.

The other thing I like about classic Marlins is the ejection port is closed off better than the modern Henrys and Marlins. It seems like it would be more resistant to dirt and dust. The Savages and Winchesters seem like they are almost closed off as well.

8+1mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2013
    Laconia
    I had a Henry Big Boy in357 mag. But sold it and bought a Marlin 357 mag . Love the Martin the Henry was so so !

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que's gun tastes run similar to mine...I have got three AR's and an AK (all in 5.56) and if the SHTF I would feel just as well served with my Marlin .357 lever gun and a couple of Smith's in the same round...

Good to see a post from you Que...I hope all is well and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and yourn....:ingo:

Doing well, buddy. Happy Nee Year to all of you, too.

Hickok45 didn't like the Henry and stated as much on a few videos. I believe this is he latest one from him and he's starting to change...a little.

Im not sure what's going on with video embedding.
    [video]https://youtu.be/1JRvz4A7YFc[/video]

Top Bottom