• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I stopped at the range the other day and there was someone there with a muzzleloader. They had stopped at the range to discharge their muzzleloader. I noticed the guy had a piece of black electrical tape on the end of the barrel. I asked him about it and he said it was there to protect from wet weather. He said he never had a problem with firing it like that but I'm wondering if that would be a bad idea for two reasons. First of all I'm wondering if it would be a safety issue. And secondly I'm wondering if it would change the point of impact if you had not sighted the gun in like that. Any comments on this?

gregr

Master
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It`s a common practice. There are companies that even make a rubber piece that slide down over the muzzle, I believe they call them "barrel condoms". I`ve never done this. I have a Knight Disc Extreme in .50 cal, and it`s NEVER failed to fire in any conditions. Were I using these other methods, I would shoot from the bench with them to compare point of impact.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Another supporting comment in the tape having no negative effect due to the air pressure proceeding the projectile being what will remove it from the muzzle.

Andy Cree

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Same effect as putting condoms over barrels while hunting or in the service.

When I travel I put condoms over the barrels of my rifles/carbines/shotguns.

No effect, Mark.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    When I travel I put condoms over the barrels of my rifles/carbines/shotguns.

And yet your collection continues to grow...Your condoms may have holes in them...

I put beeswax around the pan of my flintlocks and I have a greased lock cover...I never worried about water coming down the barrel...They used to use something called a "tampion" to place in the muzzle but I always thought they were a bad idea..

images

Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Carrying muzzle down is not a guarantee. Black powder absorbs moisture right out of the air and I have experienced misfires due to this. It is for this reason that Bill Hickok changed the loads in his '51 Navies every day.

Top Bottom