• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    I finally decided to purchase a set of Trijicon HD sights for my Walther PPS. Would the freezer, brass punch, and hammer be a safe way to change the sights, or should I consider a sight pusher tool? What would you recommend?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I would suggest a sight pusher. Putting it in the freezer will cause the metal to "shrink" some but who's to say the current sight won't shrink at the same rate as the slide? Barring the cost of a sight pusher most, if not all, competent LGS's will install sights purchased from them for free. If you're buying online will the cost of the pusher be less than the savings? Do you need the pusher for more than one gun? If so the amortized cost may make it reasonable.
    Dan

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    If I fall in love with the night sights, i could possibly use the sight pusher for other guns. After serching on line I noticed there are many sight pushers and a wide range of prices.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You don't need a tool. I just installed the same sights on my Glock. Used an old leather glove, bench vise, and wrapped a steel punch in electrical tape. File the sight until it goes in half way then use leather in vise to give it a squeeze. It will be flush with the slide then all it needs is a little tap to center it up. Tap near the base of the sight. Took me about 20 minutes. Take your time and you will be fine.

I also made a front sight tool for the Glock by grinding down a cheap Taiwan socket.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought a sight pusher and have been very happy with it. I don't like hammering on a sight with a filled capsule.

I purchased mine from sightpusher.com They are a good company. When I first got mine the pusher piece was not hardened so it got damaged when I changed the sights on my Shield (The Shield is a nightmare to remove). I called them and they said they now have a hardened version upgrade. He sent me one for free. I bought all the different adapters to go with the cheaper version. My setup is now the XL model.

You will use it way more than you think you will.

XL Handgun Sight Tool - Sight Pusher Sight Pusher

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to purchase a sight pusher. I found one on Ebay that is less expensive than the Fisher Solutions but likely not of the same quality. Hopefully it is adequate to get the job done.
    Wish me luck!

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    Let us know how it works and the brand name please as I am looking for one also. The price range varies tremendously and I don't mind paying for a competent one but also know there is good stuff out there for a discounted price. Hopefully yours works out good for you.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I overdid it as usual and picked up the MGW Sight Pro Universal Installation Tool when Midway had it on sale figuring I would only use it once and kick myself later. I've used it several times now and it is as good as the price would suggest. It does front and rear sights and holds the slide from every direction. No chance to scratch the finish. I now view it as money well spent but I understand the price will keep most people away.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I overdid it as usual and picked up the MGW Sight Pro Universal Installation Tool when Midway had it on sale figuring I would only use it once and kick myself later. I've used it several times now and it is as good as the price would suggest. It does front and rear sights and holds the slide from every direction. No chance to scratch the finish. I now view it as money well spent but I understand the price will keep most people away.
    Same here. Best money ever spent. Got about 8 or 9 diff shoes for it for various pistols.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I installed one set of night sights without a tool but was uncomfortable enough with the risk of breaking the capsule that I bought a sight pusher after that. They are a handy thing to keep on the bench and it gets used more than I thought it would for things like refinishing projects on non-night sighted guns.

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    Success! The new sights have been installed and are ready for the range to check alignment.
    The tool I found on Ebay worked great. It came with several blocks to accommodate guns that don't have a square slide.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-sight-tool-pusher-for-handguns-front-rear-Glock-1911-and-most-others-/262509595979
    A friend of mine wants to install a set of night sights on his Shield, so we'll see how well it works on a gun with more stubborn sights.
    The Trijicon sights are much easier to see in not so perfect light. Not sure why I waited so long.

Top Bottom