• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I wouldn't use Cabela's for a transfer. They are way too expensive. The one in Noblesville told me $50.

I know there are smaller shops that transfer for much less. Indy Trading post is $15 for members here.

As far as your question, I believe the place you are buying from needs the FFL's info.

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I found them on the website as an option to ship to. I would like to ship there (Indy Trading Post). Is there a process to letting them know or specific steps as a member of this site?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah I've never used cabelas for a transfer, but I would imagine just about any gun shop would be cheaper. Find one and call them before having anything sent to them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With most FFLs give them a call and give them the heads-up it is on the way. They'll take your info so they can call you when it arrives. They can also give you any info upfront your seller may need.

Also verify their fees. I know ITP is good, but some like Indiana Gun Club charges two tiers: A reasonable fee if they dont sell/stock the gun, and double the fee if they do sell it. (to encourage you to buy from them)

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Not to hijack, but how do gun shops feel about a person using them for an online purchase for something they have in stock? The gun I'm looking at I can save 20 percent on by buying online.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to hijack, but how do gun shops feel about a person using them for an online purchase for something they have in stock? The gun I'm looking at I can save 20 percent on by buying online.

See my post. We were typing at the same time.

Some are OK, others like IGC arent.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool, I'm trying to find a local person that does it from home. Ive used a local guy in the past but it's been a long time. I'm going to try and see if he still does them.

Careful. There was a part time shop that did primarily training but also had their FFL in Fishers. Numerous reports of issues with delivery, as well as scheduling time to do the 4473. All because they werent open regular hours.

I'd stick with the brick and mortars that are reasonably priced. an extra $10-ish in fees can be a nice hedge against headaches.

We are spoiled here in Indy. Two full time shops that will do them for $15.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Do not use cabelas. Log onto gunbroker. look at the list of shops in your area that will do a transfer. The prices they charge are also listed. If they are listed then they are more than happy to do the transfer for you.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    As an FFL, I need to be notified. If not, I might think that I have been sent a gift from a secret admirer and will enter it into the "Personal Inventory" log book and not the "Sell and Transfer" book.. :D

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I purchased a gun off of Gun Broker and the shop in Ohio required the FFL they were sending the firearm to, to fax them a copy of their license before they would ship it. I don't know if all shops are that way, but it was my experience.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I purchased a gun off of Gun Broker and the shop in Ohio required the FFL they were sending the firearm to, to fax them a copy of their license before they would ship it. I don't know if all shops are that way, but it was my experience.
    Yep, that has to happen with every interstate transfer to comply with federal law. I try to use one of the vendors pre-approved FFLs (FFL license already on file with the vendor) to reduce the transfer time waiting to get that copy of the license.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Established companies usually send you and the FFL an email notification with all the information you fill out online. I remember calling on my 1st transfer, and they confirmed they also received the email. I haven't made a phone call since with several successful transfers that had those emails and tracking numbers. With that being said, if a transfer was from a private party or newer business, I would then make a phone call.

I choose to patron my LGS for transfers. They do $30 for the 1st and $10 for each additional, so I make it worth my while and have a few transfers. ;)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If all you need is a lower, and it's a standard run-of-the-mill lower - you'll probably come out even if you just go to a shop and buy one.

Because with the transfer fee - you probably won't be saving much, if any, anyway. Unless, of course, the shop is selling a $45 lower for $80+...which does happen.

Call around a few shops and ask if they have any lowers in stock and the prices. You may be surprised.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Fax? When was this, the '90s? ;)

Top Bottom