New Survey Says 22% of guns sold without background check.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    im shocked its that high honestly. The funny part for the most part background checks arent going to stop a criminal from getting a firearm. They will just steal it or buy it illegally they are a criminal after all.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've never gotten a background check when I bought a gun. The only ones I have are for stripped lowers...yeah, I know, technically guns, but you know what I mean.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I squinted and they can still claim 30%. At the very least, they'll say 'a quarter of all gun purchases'...

Considering the 40% number was rounded up for 36. They'll round up where this gun friendly article rounded down.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Stories like this predispose that people who purchase firearms without having a background check completed are somehow more of a risk or threat than those purchases that do include a NICS check. It also intimates sellers who do not perform a background check are motivated solely by profit, without regard to vetting the buyer.

These stories doesn't go down any levels beyond the surface, both for the sake of reader comprehension and for impact of the story.

Example: Story never once references National Instant Check System or NICS, preferring to stay with the purposefully vague phrase "background check".

Another example: What about a private intrastate sale to somebody who references another's LTCH, which requires a law enforcement background check to obtain? Not a NICS check, but it does verify the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

"Solution" to this mostly non-existent problem that would cost taxpayers almost nothing to implement but would increase the number of NICS checks performed: allowing private sellers access to NICS to perform voluntary checks on potential buyers.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I liked the linked article on gun "super owners". https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

Apparently 3% of gun owners own 50% of the guns. Doesn't this diminish the whole background check argument? After all, of the 22% of sales done without a background check, half of those statistically are purchases by these super-owners who have an average of 17 guns already. Then of the remaining 11% of sales, how many of those were to existing gun owners? I would think the actual number of first time gun buyers who make a purchase without a background check is statistically insignificant.

My new t-shirt. " I am the 3%"

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    if youve never had a background check to buy a gun other than a lower i have to assume your buying used guns from private individuals or whoever your buying them from likes violating federal law.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    if youve never had a background check to buy a gun other than a lower i have to assume your buying used guns from private individuals or whoever your buying them from likes violating federal law.

I assume you're talking to me. Yes, private sales and gifts.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    yeas i was. I dont see a problem with that at all. i mean really how often are legally obtained firearms or ones bought from a fellow member of the gun community like this used for crimes? i do not know but i promise its rarely.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It doesn't matter what the findings are, grabbers will attempt to spin it in their favor. Spin spin spin lie lie lie.

How are states like Georgia that don't call NICS if the purchaser has a LTCH reported? Iirc they still fill out the 4473 but don't call it in.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm pretty sure that there are some theoretical badasses on INGO who are more politically pure than the rest of us who feel like they have a right to the title "3%" based on something else.

Yeah, forgot about that. But, I did use an Arabic numeral and not Roman.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    As an FFL, it amazes me the hoops I have to jump through to stay in the good graces of the ATF, however, non-FFL's can sell person to person without any kind of NICS check or paperwork. For the record, I support that. It just makes the federal requirements for the FFL's seem like a rather moot point, especially when you factor in how guns are obtained criminally and therefore outside of the regulations as well. The ONLY people having to jump through the hoops are the law abiding citizens....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm pretty sure that there are some theoretical badasses on INGO who are more politically pure than the rest of us who feel like they have a right to the title "3%" based on something else.

I'll have you know, good sir, that my political purity rating is at a 2.35% 2.35. And that's only because I express displeasure with a neighbor who wants to live in filth and pass it off as "liberty".:D

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    George Washington said 100% of information on the Internet is true so...

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    New survey says, surveys like this are useless, because a lot of "gun people" lie on their survey.
    In fact, studies have shown MOST people lie on surveys.
    They say they eat better than they really do.
    They say they would help people more, than they really do.
    Etc.

Top Bottom