• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So, I have been deliberating too long over my next firearm buy or build. I have everything from plinking to target .22 handguns and rifles, small to large caliber centerfire handguns, small to large caliber rifles, small to large caliber flintlocks. Small to large gauge shotguns. Lol
    I've been thinking for awhile that I wanted to build an AR15A2, 20" barrel. Picked up a lower and some parts. When it came time for the upper, I started over thinking it.
    Should I just go with another 5.56? No, maybe a .300, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39? Do I really want to start loading another caliber? What am I going to really use it for?
    Wow, this is wearing me out. Lol
    Good problem or bad problem to have??

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    For me it was a bad problem to have. Bunch of guns lacking in accessories and ammo. I had a selling spree last couple years. Consolidated big time. My only regret is not doing it years ago. Still have a few to sell and would like to cut it down one more time. Don't need my big safe anymore either. Happy!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For me it was a bad problem to have. Bunch of guns lacking in accessories and ammo. I had a selling spree last couple years. Consolidated big time. My only regret is not doing it years ago. Still have a few to sell and would like to cut it down one more time. Don't need my big safe anymore either. Happy!

I'm kinda with you sniper. I have been working on paring down by first consolidating calibers. Next is to finish building and sell a couple AR's. Currently have a P226 for sale.

I have been thinking about buying a Walther PPQ but I may just stick with my 1911 and run one pistol.

I still have some revolvers, but they are older S&W's and I am okay with them living in the safe and shooting occasionally. If I ever really get into IDPA, I may shoot one of them in competition one day.

I am a minimalist and the more I stuff I own, the more it owns me. I like not having a bunch of "stuff". The less I have, the freer I feel.

Scout, some of those caliber's mentioned certainly have a place. You have to decide if you want to add another caliber. Some people have no issues with having many different caliber firearms. Some actually want to have more.

It just depends on what kind of person you are, how much time, space and money you have.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I used to buy, sell and trade guns weekly. Years ago, I opted to steer towards quality more than quantity.
    I can usually put something on the wish list and save/search till I find it. Not many impulse buys, these days.
    I have a stockpile of ammo for every caliber, that I am pretty happy with and components to load that much more. I don't mind adding another caliber, if I can justify it. Ha, I typed that with a straight face.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    What am I going to really use it for?
    Wow, this is wearing me out. Lol
    Good problem or bad problem to have??

Once you actually answer this it shouldn't be too hard. I just built a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far! I've been putting together some components and other tools to start loading for it and then it will be even better!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    King31, from what I have read, the 6.5 Grendel is neck to neck with the 6.8 SPC out to around 500 yards and then the 6.5 starts gaining an edge. Ammo for the 6.5 is cheaper, too, if you have to buy factory.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    It can be a tough decision. I understand wanting something new. I also understand not wanting to add another caliber. I would love to have a 35 Remington for next deer season. But adding another caliber to reload is a big deterrent for me. I already have 10 calibers to reload and don't want anymore. I am also not a fan of reloading rifle rounds, especially in high volume. That's why I got a pistol caliber AR. I enjoy reloading, shooting and looking for something new. It just need to be in a caliber I already have.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I think the second or third gun I built was an A2 HBAR. I absolutely love it. Total naildriver, and bonus you NEVER see rifle length guns anywhere.

For the last few months I've been working on an A1 clone... parts are hard to come buy.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    King31, from what I have read, the 6.5 Grendel is neck to neck with the 6.8 SPC out to around 500 yards and then the 6.5 starts gaining an edge. Ammo for the 6.5 is cheaper, too, if you have to buy factory.

You are dead on about the ballistics. I haven't had mine anywhere close to that distance, as I've only put 60 rounds through it so far, but I really enjoy it. I recently bought some Hornady 123gr Amax for $0.97/round which isn't bad at all. I plan on loading for it and have already crunched some numbers. It should be less than $0.50/round, not including brass. My only complaint was the price of my build, but I also didn't skimp on buying quality parts so I'm not that mad. 6.8 SPC is likely going to be a little cheaper to build and I know factory ammo is not nearly as limited as 6.5G while still be similar in price. There are good forums for both and I'd encourage you to check them out if you were on the fence of the two. My next rifle purchase will hopefully be a CZ 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel which is new for 2017. It seems like it's going to be a good year!

Top Bottom