• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Hi folks - Sorry if this is a dup. I'm sure its been asked before. I couldn't find anything about this specific topic.

I was wondering if anybody knows of land in this great state that you can shoot on? I know that most land is privately or govt owned is some way, shape, or form, but curious to see. I'm not really talking about an outdoor range, but just open land with nothing around. I've been going to Point Blank quite a bit, but tired of paying range fees. Also, tired of shooting paper. Would love to shoot some steel.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hi folks - Sorry if this is a dup. I'm sure its been asked before. I couldn't find anything about this specific topic.

I was wondering if anybody knows of land in this great state that you can shoot on? I know that most land is privately or govt owned is some way, shape, or form, but curious to see. I'm not really talking about an outdoor range, but just open land with nothing around. I've been going to Point Blank quite a bit, but tired of paying range fees. Also, tired of shooting paper. Would love to shoot some steel.

Open land?

By chance have you been on a more general firearms board that has members from states where the feds own a bunch of it, like Colorado or Nevada or such?

Indiana has no BLM land. There is no "open land" such as managed by the BLM in the hairy-chested West.

https://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/more/lands/selling_public_land.html

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

I hear you. It would be nice to have a place to shoot without all the restrictions of an official range. A place to shoot reactive targets and draw from a holster.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Open land?

By chance have you been on a more general firearms board that has members from states where the feds own a bunch of it, like Colorado or Nevada or such?
    HA. No, but I could see why you'd think so. This actually kind of sucks. My buddy has a membership at Elwood, and have gone a few times with him. When crowds are low, that is the most "freedom" I've had when shooting (bringing in fun stuff to shoot, no cease fires, etc.)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I hear you. It would be nice to have a place to shoot without all the restrictions of an official range. A place to shoot reactive targets and draw from a holster.

No problem. All you need to do is buy that particular piece of property and develop it how ever you desire. You could even call that place ... home. If you search through the threads, you'll find where more than one INGO member has done just that.

Short of that, you're just going to have to follow the rules of whatever range you join.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nope! You got to pay to play. Join a club or lease a spot or fork over major cash for land of your own.

I have relatives and friends that always want to come with me shooting. Not a one of them offers to kick back some cash for my membership. I asked them all to kick in a little and am a lone shooter now. No one wants to pay or put in any work hours.

Other bad folk have ruined it for the rest of us so I don't even ask private land owners anymore. Also insurance reasons keep people from land access.

Let a few guys shoot awhile at my in-laws place. They left a mess like you wouldn't believe. Took me quite awhile to clean up all the junk they were shooting at, empty hulls and brass, and all the freaking beer cans and fast food rubbish. They were pissing facing the house and tossing stuff into the weeds. Even put a 7.62x39R empty through a tractor tire. NEVER AGAIN!

If you do find a spot keep it to yourself and leave only footprints. Take care of the land owner and it should go ok for awhile. That was my :twocents:. Have fun!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    No problem. All you need to do is buy that particular piece of property and develop it how ever you desire. You could even call that place ... home. If you search through the threads, you'll find where more than one INGO member has done just that.

Short of that, you're just going to have to follow the rules of whatever range you join.

And for the person that can't afford acreage in the country it sucks. Of course, I guess all I need to do is make myself independently wealthy right?

I have no problem paying to use a place to shoot, I just want to be left alone.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Suck? Not at all. Paying your own way is the essence of freedom. You owe nothing as you have paid in full.

Sponging off others via the BLM is anathema to freedom.

I view it that the government owns the land, we own the government and pay taxes, so we all own the land and should have access to utilize it. I don't view using government land a sponging.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Top Bottom