• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I'm now looking to finally insure my 'collection'...

I've spoken with my regular insurance agent and he got really weird about insuring $40k+ in firearms. Needless to say, once my homeowners comes due there are going to be additional changes. It just wasn't a very good discussion at all.

So....

I've looked at online brochures from NRA ArmsCarePlus and Collectibles Insurance from CollectInsure.

ArmsCare seems like exactly what I'm looking for... However, in other forums I've seen complaints that they're more-or-less a scam and always seem to find some way to get out of actually paying when a loss happens. Has anyone here had an experience with them?

CollectInsure seems to have a good reputation. However we're not talking Beanie Babies here! My guns aren't safe queens and get frequent use. Seems like this could be a problem with them.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to who actually stands behind their policy should a loss happen?

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have nothing good to say about the standard NRA insurance. We had one handgun stolen and they did not pay at all. Every excuse and only would consider after my auto and homeowners ins was claimed first. Can I ask what company you have so I can avoid that one? Sportsmans insurance agency out of FL I have heard a lot of good about.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    My homeowners is -- until it comes up for renewal anyway - with State Farm. Agent acted like I was an agent of ISIS when I showed him what I wanted to add to my policy.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    My homeowners is -- until it comes up for renewal anyway - with State Farm. Agent acted like I was an agent of ISIS when I showed him what I wanted to add to my policy.

Get a different agent. I have State Farm and have additional insurance through them. My agent asked for no additional information other than replacement value.

I keep an inventory on a thumb drive that I carry with me and my daughter has a duplicate thumb drive she keeps at her house.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my agent told me I needed a written appraisal for every gun from a expert(and no even though I work in a gun shop, im not an expert) and then he told me that I'd have to pay out the butt for coverage (and ive been with shelter insurance for 25+ years)

I have a friend who sells insurance, and is a huge gun owner/supporter of the nra and he has policies that cover firearms and also cover you if you have to use your firearm in self defense(cover legal fee's) and you wont have to give serial numbers till they guns are stolen.

he's here in Evansville, but can write policy's all over the state, since he's not an advertiser/site supporter on ingo (I've tried to get him to) if you want his info, pm me, and ill give it to you

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I had the same experience with my home owners insurance company. Treated me less than professionally. It was clear where the person I was talking to stood on the 2nd Amendment. Asked me if they were all "registered". Then gave me a sky high quote on insuring them. On my next bill there was an additional charge added for extra "hazard". Not a pleasant experience at all.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I use State Farm as well, its a Personal Articles Policy. I have never had any problems, never had a claim either. I had a friend who had the same policy make a claim, if I remember, it paid out the same say.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    My biggest concern with CollectInsure is guns that are frequently used or 'everyday' carry. Doesn't appear that those would be covered.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Not worth the Hassel to me. I offloaded and only keep what I shoot on a regular basis. If it doesn't get touched in a year it gets gone.

My insurance guy was cool although it seemed sketchy at best that I would get paid if anything happened. Don't forget it's not only the guns. All mine have slings,scopes,mags,ammo, other accessories. It adds up quick. A good safe is a insurance policy without the annual premium. Screw the insurance companies. The less people know the better.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    And yes, I have nearly the same amount of money wrapped up in my gun collection as I do my "gun stuff" collection. Between ammo, supplies, tools, etc.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Try AutoOwners insurance company. As an addition to homeowners policy.... you set the value of the firearm, there is no deductible, will also pay for firearms that become damaged, premium based upon the value you put on your items is reasonable.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have Farm Bureau, and carry a separate rider for just my gun's. They did ask for a list with serial numbers and value. It's expensive enough that I believe it's legit but still reasonable.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have collectinsure and although I havent had to make a claim they have been good so far and had good reviews when I picked up my policy. Ive go 35k in insurance and my bill is $232 a year. They also raise my value so many percent each year automatically. I just have to keep a running inventory with pictures and all is good.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If your agent isn't able to help you, then you should probably find a new agent. Collectibles Insurance is good if you can't find coverage through your homeowners company. I prefer to keep stuff in the same company, but that isn't always possible.

Top Bottom