Buying a firearm at a FFL dealer without a photo ID?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What type of ID is required in Indiana in order to purchase a firearm?

I know you need a state issued ID to prove you're an Indiana resident, but is it specified that it has to be a photo ID?

I'm just curious since I discovered that the state of Indiana offers ID with no pictures for "religious beliefs".
    This type of ID can be used to vote apparently.
    But can it be used to purchase a firearm or is there some sort of federal law that require the type of ID to have a picture?

Photo Exempt Identification Card
    You can apply for a photo exempt identification card at any BMV license branch if you have a sincerely held religious belief against the taking of your photograph.

In order to apply for a photo exempt identification, you must provide the documents required for issuance of a regular identification card, along with the following documents:
    • A documented affirmation of your sincerely held religious belief against the issuance of a Social Security number and a completed IRS Form 4029; or,
      • If you already hold a validly issued Social Security number you do not need an affirmation statement of your sincerely held religious belief against the issuance of a Social Security number or IRS Form 4029.
    • A documented affirmation of your sincerely held religious belief against the taking of your photograph.
    • A documented statement from a member of your clergy prohibiting the taking of your photograph.
    • Valid documentary evidence that the applicant is a citizen or national of the United States.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2358.htm

I can see how having no picture on your ID would make it very easy for a "non proper person" to buy a firearm.
    Convicted felon, someone under the age of 18 or 21 etc ... they could just use someone else's ID with no picture on it. :dunno:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I do recall someone on here trying to buy one with the paper the BMV gives you until your license comes in the mail. The FFL wouldn't so it.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    A non photo ID seems pointless to me. It's just like handing a cashier a credit card and telling them it's your card. Without a picture, how can it be verified.

I alway use my drivers license with my pic on it but I can't imagine an FL taking an ID without a pic.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I just always use my Indiana D/L. I guess I do not see why one would not want ones picture on their I.D? I guess everyone is different though. But I cannot imagine a FFL being agreeable to use of a no photo ID?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The No Photo ID & Driver License are for our Amish Friends. All the Amish guys I know Hunt, they got to buy those guns somehow. The Amish refer to Photos as "Graven Images". The Amish children's Dolls have blank faces. How about an FFL Answer from Amish Country?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just always use my Indiana D/L. I guess I do not see why one would not want ones picture on their I.D? I guess everyone is different though. But I cannot imagine a FFL being agreeable to use of a no photo ID?

But can they even refuse if the state says it's ok to have no picture on your ID? :dunno:
    It would be useless to get a state ID that you can't get for identification purposes.

Top Bottom