How Does the The World View The United States?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I originally thought this could qualify as a political topic, but opted to put it here. Judge for yourself. Firearm possession in America is well reported upon around the world. Do you think the rest of the world, mainly countries that would overtly attack our mainland , are affected by our firearms ownership? Some people are willing to attack us from within despite that. Even going so far as to use our liberal laws to their benefit. I always feel that there is that next country waiting to take advantage of the optimum window to attack us, but is factoring in our firearm ownership,and would be deterred.Thoughts on this?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They see how easily we're duped and aren't worried even slightly by our gun owners.

They could take over and most would just consider them a third party that finally won DC.

There would be a bit of whining and evasion in the streets, then chatter, then business as usual under our new rulers.

Things might get slightly better or worse, but not much change. ;)

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    "New rulers" makes my gut churn. Maybe that idea is what motivates some. A call to action as it were. I believe there is a thread of people ready to respond. They go by many titles and are of a varying age, but I believe they are among us.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Considering how powerful our military is I find it somewhat difficult to believe that anyone would look at our country and say to themselves; "Gee, we could take that country if it wasn't for the civilians that own guns."

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Proud to be an American, I personally don't care what the rest of the world thinks.

Yup
    And they all know we could kick their azz if we put our minds to it.

I think our firearm ownership does play a role though. If there were a major military attack, I'm pretty sure there are enough true Americans left to fight back and make it difficult.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The next takeover won't be conducted by airplanes dropping bombs, ships launching missiles, or armies storming beachheads. Our enemies will attack our communications and data infrastructure remotely. Once our economy and social structure is in shambles, they will move in the occupation armies. We won't be taken down by bullets, but by network hacks and viruses.

Yesterday while Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and other leaders of the U.S. intelligence community were testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee it became even more clear to me that cyber warfare is the future and the U.S. is woefully unprepared to defend against it. Interestingly enough, we are much better at offensive cyber warfare, i.e. we can (and probably have) remotely manipulate other countries data networks to our advantage. Unfortunately, when they come attacking us (and they have), we have trouble defending against it.

One of the senators on the committee made an interesting point with NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers. Her point was that we have thousands of sharp people in this country who are very knowledgeable about cyber security. The problem is that they work for Apple, Google, etc., and they don't work for the U.S. intelligence community. Her suggestion is that National Guard units should be encouraged to recruit these Internet experts to spend some time each year working for that oxymoron, military intelligence.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I originally thought this could qualify as a political topic, but opted to put it here. Judge for yourself. Firearm possession in America is well reported upon around the world. Do you think the rest of the world, mainly countries that would overtly attack our mainland , are affected by our firearms ownership? Some people are willing to attack us from within despite that. Even going so far as to use our liberal laws to their benefit. I always feel that there is that next country waiting to take advantage of the optimum window to attack us, but is factoring in our firearm ownership,and would be deterred.Thoughts on this?

Generally speaking, the parts of the world that don't subscribe to political correctness (not many left in the West) probably laugh their ****ing asses off at us.

But as far as whether or not our firearm ownership is a deterrent to be invaded, I'd say not in the slightest. First world nations probably don't get armed invaded anymore. It's a new world. We've been attacked by terrorists. We've been cyber-attacked.

They also invade through subterfuge. Indoctrination. For the kinds of attacks made on us today, they mostly don't need to give a **** about our guns. All they have to do is work subvertly to turn us all into ******* so that we'll start blaming guns for crime. I think we're a long way from that. Not every millennial is hipster.

Moral of the story, if you see your son wearing skinny jeans and talking about the wage gap for women, slap the **** out of him. Give him a pair of your wranglers. Put a flannel shirt on him, put an axe in his hand and make him go out and chop some wood.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My avatar is a pic from an article in the local paper on one of the first Appleseed events here. This was back when most everyone participating used a centerfire battle rifle. When I saw the picture it brought to mind the quote about "a rifleman behind every blade of grass". No, a land war with an external enemy is unlikely but I love the image.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Moral of the story, if you see your son wearing skinny jeans and talking about the wage gap for women, slap the **** out of him. Give him a pair of your wranglers. Put a flannel shirt on him, put an axe in his hand and make him go out and chop some wood.

Wranglers are just skinny jeans for rednecks... :):

I prefer carpenter pants.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having traveled some in the third world and dealt with various foreigners in business from the first world my general impression is that they don't like us. Biggest problem, jealously, but they are always willing to take our money.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    That works. Canvas tends not to last as long for me as denim.

They make denim Carpenter jeans. $15 buck at the Walmarts and you got yerself a par of Faded Glory denim Carpenters. Plus you get a few extra useful pockets without the "Tommy Tactical" look of cargo pants. :yesway:

Also, as to the viewing of us as American gun owners by foreign countries preventing attacks. Wasn't that one of the big reasons Japan backed off a full scale invasion after their success at Pearl Harbor? Something along the lines of there being a "rifle behind every blade of grass" ?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They make denim Carpenter jeans. $15 buck at the Walmarts and you got yerself a par of Faded Glory denim Carpenters. Plus you get a few extra useful pockets without the "Tommy Tactical" look of cargo pants. :yesway:

Also, as to the viewing of us as American gun owners by foreign countries preventing attacks. Wasn't that one of the big reasons Japan backed off a full scale invasion after their success at Pearl Harbor? Something along the lines of there being a "rifle behind every blade of grass" ?

Yeah. But that's in the context of an armed invasion. There are so many new ways to invade now.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah. But that's in the context of an armed invasion. There are so many new ways to invade now.

True, but even after an event like a mass cyber attack on the power grid, if whoever did the hack intended to take physical control of our country they would need a ground assault force. Even a country as large as Russia needed boots on the ground to take full control over a small area like Crimea. It would be impossible to actually take control of our country without a mass ground invasion. Cripple our economy, power grid and communications with computers sure but physically take control? Not happening without ground troops

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'd imagine using a nuke as an EMP to knock out our power grid would be the way you'd start an invasion in today's world. Hell, knock out the grid and wait for a year or two and a large percentage of our population would be dead. Then you invade and gun ownership won't matter because there would be so few people left.

But you have to wonder what the point of an attack like that would be. Who wants to take over an entirely destroyed country? What would the purpose be?

Top Bottom