• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting look at the very strict gun laws of Japan.

The law makes it almost impossible to own a gun ... but like anyone in here could expect, criminals still get to own guns ... like they don't follow the law or something.

The article doesn't mention that crime is still very high, just not gun crime.
    Of course reducing gun ownership will reduce gun crime (for the most part, criminals still import them) but people will use other weapons.

Stabbings happen all the time in Japan.Just last year 19 people were killed (and 26 injures) by stabbing during one single attack.
    Mass stabbings as as commons as mass shootings in the US.
    I guess knives are even more dangerous since you don't run out of ammo ...

We often hear about gun laws in the UK and how they are very strict (almost impossible to own hanguns even for most police officers) but Japan is way worst.

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime - BBC News

Henrietta Moore of the Institute for Global Prosperity at University College London applauds the Japanese for not viewing gun ownership as "a civil liberty", and rejecting the idea of firearms as "something you use to defend your property against others".

Yet Japan has a large Self Defense Force (their military) that use guns to protect their property (country). Sounds like a double standard to me. :dunno:

I'm sure citizens in Japan feel really safe, knowing they will get killed by a knife and not an evil gun.:rolleyes:

And of course the PM and the Emperor are protected by armed bodyguards like in pretty much any contry that bans guns and thinks they are evil.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Astoundingly stupid policies, and bias reporting to boot!
    One must consider the source of the article though.
    It IS the BBC after all, and what kind of name is Harry Low?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Astoundingly stupid policies, and bias reporting to boot!
    One must consider the source of the article though.
    It IS the BBC after all, and what kind of name is Harry Low?

Very stupid laws and biased article ,but I thought it was nonetheless interesting and worth sharing with people who might ignore the freedom they have.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have several friends that work for Subaru and can confirm this the Japanese workers there are fascinated by our civilian ownership of firearms. Pretty fun watching them shoot a gun for the first time, after that they generally love firearms.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    That mass killing last year had a high casualty because most of the victims were disabled. And yup, gun control is absolute in that country. Crime is still low comparable to ours and of course, criminals will use something else if guns aren't available.

What people miss on why the low crime rate in Japan is not the absence of the tool, it's the culture. Switzerland and Iceland, both have higher rate of firearm ownership than Japan, yet crime is so miniscule.

What people also miss (especially people from other countries) is that firearm ownership here in USA is a symbol of freedom, which other countries don't have. And freedom does have its price. Just look at how the freedom of speech is abused by the mainstream media and entitled snow flakes.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That mass killing last year had a high casualty because most of the victims were disabled. And yup, gun control is absolute in that country. Crime is still low comparable to ours and of course, criminals will use something else if guns aren't available.

What people miss on why the low crime rate in Japan is not the absence of the tool, it's the culture. Switzerland and Iceland, both have higher rate of firearm ownership than Japan, yet crime is so miniscule.

What people also miss (especially people from other countries) is that firearm ownership here in USA is a symbol of freedom, which other countries don't have. And freedom does have its price. Just look at how the freedom of speech is abused by the mainstream media and entitled snow flakes.

That's true.
    I think many Americans see that as a symbol of freedom where people from other countries only see it as a weapon.
    If you showed a large gun collection to many Europeans they would ask you if your neighborhood is that dangerous and would not understand why you need so many guns.
    There's also not a big gun culture inthe US, having guns is a hobby, which doesn't exist in many countries.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very stupid laws and biased article ,but I thought it was nonetheless interesting and worth sharing with people who might ignore the freedom they have.

Oh I agree completely!
    People NEED to be reminded just how good their lot in life is, relatively speaking.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Japan has been a rather "disarmed" country since the end WW2.

The population, not the country.
    They have a powerful military, or "sefl defense force".

Ironic. Because the problem in WWII wasn't an armed public, but a powerful military.

Strange that the liberals find this somehow praiseworthy... but then, they do seem to love police states long time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Japan has been a rather "disarmed" country since the end WW2.
    Japan has ALWAYS had strict arms control, to include swords, they were subjects of the Emporer. Many farm related tools were repurposed as defensive/offensive weapons, as the mere subjects were not allowed the carriage of arms, only the nobility!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

+1, violent crime in Japan, is MUCH lower than in the United States, and they've only had THREE mass killings in the past 15 years. You're also right about culture, "weapons" were traditionally only allowed for the high ranking. Karate for instance, came about in Okinawa, because the Japanese banned weapons. So peasants turned to empty hands techniques combos with farming/fishing tools.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen these statistics over the years and have spent a fair amount of time working with the Japanese. It's really a stretch to compare the two countries, cultures, and formation history. I've learned things from their business model, but I think most of that they picked up from Dr. Deming, an American.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Japan has ALWAYS had strict arms control, to include swords, they were subjects of the Emporer. Many farm related tools were repurposed as defensive/offensive weapons, as the mere subjects were not allowed the carriage of arms, only the nobility!

Exactly. It's hardly praiseworthy to live in a nation of vassals, rather than free men and women. I guess no surprise the libs would find this appealing. They assume they would still be in control of the dangerous things.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    It is probably safe to say that the majority of those in favor of very restrictive civilian gun ownership have never lived in a country where violent crime is endemic and civilians cannot own firearms. I lived in Nairobi, Kenya for 3 years. Probably not a night went by that I did not wish for a Remington 870. Everyone in the expat community knew someone who had been a victim of violent crime, or had been a victim themselves. Living in such places has a way of changing one's attitude.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It is probably safe to say that the majority of those in favor of very restrictive civilian gun ownership have never lived in a country where violent crime is endemic and civilians cannot own firearms. I lived in Nairobi, Kenya for 3 years. Probably not a night went by that I did not wish for a Remington 870. Everyone in the expat community knew someone who had been a victim of violent crime, or had been a victim themselves. Living in such places has a way of changing one's attitude.

If you've seen Black Hawk Down, you know better.

Kut (is never going to Africa)

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    I have several friends that work for Subaru and can confirm this the Japanese workers there are fascinated by our civilian ownership of firearms. Pretty fun watching them shoot a gun for the first time, after that they generally love firearms.

I work at Futaba and we have many Japanese also. They love to go out shooting with us also. First timers are always funny.

Top Bottom