• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best Build strategy for a beginner on a budget?

• Total voters

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    I am wanting to do my first build but with limited funds I am trying to decide the best way to do it. I have never built a firearm but after several videos it doesn't seem too difficult but maybe a little more than I am wanting to take on for my first. So I guess the question is what do you recommend for building and being time and cost effective?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Palmetto is reasonable. I'm sure someone in the United States could walk you through a build if you wanted.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Palmetto had some great prices recently. A friend just bought a $129 complete lower. The guy next door just bought a stainless barreled upper for $189. A bcg and charging handle can be added for $100 or so. Total cost without needing any tools less than $500.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Whatever you do don't build one. Once you get the hang of it you can't stop at just one. It's like eating a bag of Lays potato chips.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I generally suggest buying your first one and building subsequent ones. The first one is to get you used to the platform and what you need/want as far as upgrades and changes. Then when you go to build you have an idea of what to buy. I'm presuming that you should be able to find some complete DPMS ones at the 1500 for $450-$500. (This is after seeing them at the Hendricks County show this last weekend.) The DPMS are great starter guns with pretty decent reviews. From there you can add pretty much everything. I will admit it will be a bit more expensive then building from the ground up but the knowledge is well worth it.
    If you decide to do a full build (not really that hard but does need some specific tools) USDS is having a build party soon. It might be worth your while to check it out.
    Dan

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I generally suggest buying your first one and building subsequent ones. The first one is to get you used to the platform and what you need/want as far as upgrades and changes. Then when you go to build you have an idea of what to buy. I'm presuming that you should be able to find some complete DPMS ones at the 1500 for $450-$500. (This is after seeing them at the Hendricks County show this last weekend.) The DPMS are great starter guns with pretty decent reviews. From there you can add pretty much everything. I will admit it will be a bit more expensive then building from the ground up but the knowledge is well worth it.
    If you decide to do a full build (not really that hard but does need some specific tools) USDS is having a build party soon. It might be worth your while to check it out.
    Dan

I agree with this. Take it a step further and buy a base gun used from an individual such a an oracle or m&p sport. Then proceed to use it like a boss and get familiar with it and know what works for you and what doesn't

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Buying a complete rifle or upper + lower (from same company) is what I would recommend. Unless you want to do some really crazy build that no manufacturers anywhere have. The resale value of Franken ARs tends to be lower than a complete rifle.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you are on a budget go to brownells and buy an aero complete AR
    for like 600-650.
    modify it as you get money. Or leave it as is and just at least add a QUALITY red dot OPTIC! aimpoint, eotech, trijicon. If you want a scope buy a vortex.
    dont buy a vortex red dot unless you just want to take range trips with it. They are not combat optics.

save your money and buy quality. You will regret it if you don't. Buy a surefire light or a streamlight. Surefire is best

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    All Palmetto guns and parts are NOT created equal.
    I used to like Anderson but I'd stay away from them now.
    aero is the entry quality I'd go with on a budget.
    personaly I've never understood settling for lower quality just to have something in my hand faster. Even with clothes as a
    kid, I'd save to buy the Calvin Klein jeans over the other brand. My dad taught me you get what you at for and that advice has done me well through my life. Buy ****, get ****ty results

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I say put it together, but take your time and buy the parts that you want. I really enjoyed assembling mine. Honestly you aren't building, more like putting a puzzle together for men, but that makes it fun. Why buy a completed gun only to have to replace the handguard or the stock because you ended up not liking it??? With that, you should be able to put one together for under $600 including tools if you don't have those. 1 youtube video for the lower and a couple for the upper was sufficient for me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    personaly I've never understood settling for lower quality just to have something in my hand faster. Even with clothes as a
    kid, I'd save to buy the Calvin Klein jeans over the other brand. My dad taught me you get what you at for and that advice has done me well through my life. Buy ****, get ****ty results

You wore Calvin Klein jeans? :laugh:

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I'm building my first systems right now... it's dramatically better than just buying one--I understand everything about it and appreciate each part as I put it together.

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Thought the same last year when I went. Not too many deals jumping out at me. At the time I was in the market for a handgun and ammo so didn't really pay much attention to AR parts. I did see several booths with a boatload of uppers but didnt really check prices.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    But, but, but, parts is parts? They're all made by the same place...they're just as good as...Help, my AR won't run!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm just completing my first (overall) build from the ground up...using an Anderson Upper and Lower and I went with .223 Wylde barrel that I got from a local guy.

I've had the lower for a while and it actually took me about 3 months to go through and figure out what I wanted to do and how to go about doing it...make sure I had all the right parts...etc. Hoping to have it finished by the end of this month! Crazy part is...it'll probably be the wife's when I get all done with it...ha ha! It's a funny story how that all happened!

Two videos that helped convince me that I could do it are below! Best of luck with your choices and your build!

Upper Assembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjW87J5MTU

Lower Assembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4HteQYanR4

Last edited:
    Top Bottom