• ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    :xmad:RANT :xmad:
    Let me know if I am missing something here, or if anyone else has run into 'issues' with the ISP website. Take some of this with sarcasm and friendly needling, but still real frustration.

I decided to apply for a Lifetime CCW. I already have a 'Federal CCW' via HR218 - being a retired LEO and qualifying annually (Thank You phylodog - your crew is awesome!) Just wanted the added coverage, because I have talked to some LEOs that are clueless about the Federal law.
    I go to the ISP website and start the process. One of the options is 'Retired Law Enforcement', state fee waived! Kewl, can spend $75 on ammo or something else. I complete the app, pay my fingerprint fee and get my prints taken. Call up my local agency to finish the process and ask them what proof do I need as to my retirement status. "You have to have a minimum of 20 years to be considered 'retired." *needle scratch*
    "I have 15 years and retired on disability." - NOPE!
    "Here's the number for ISP...."

Me: "Hello ISP guy... retired.. disability...blah-blah-blah."
    ISP: " Get a letter from your department as to the length of tenure and disability status."
    Me: "I worked for 3 departments."
    ISP "Get a letter from every one on letterhead. And we will send it to legal for a determination."

I could not find ANYTHING on the ISP Firearms website explaining/defining what constitutes 'retired'. Their website is sorely lacking, and IMNSHO sucks, on many levels. I was honorably retired and have a CA CCW and HR 218 also covers retirees due to job related disability.

I try and contact the departments (this was during the holidays) and it was a frickin' hassle..... grumble... no letters as yet. So, I decide, hey I'll just go down there, switch over to the 'regular' CCW application, and pay my monies. I head to my local agency (as it says to do on the ISP website) last Friday - NOPE!
    Local agency has me get on my cell phone, log in and switch my application type (actually they did it for me - awesome customer service). Now it says "$75 State Fee Due" OK..... I'll pay it -- NOPE!

The local agency can't take my state fee $$, there is no way to pay it via the website! They call ISP and they are stumped. Go home. A couple days later, I have VM from locals, ISP says they reset my app and I can pay online now - NOPE.
    I send e-mail to ISP asking how to GIVE THEM THEIR DAMN MONEY (which I shouldn't have to do, but I won't get into a 2A rant). I even point out this on their website:

Effective January 1, 2017, The Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Unit will no longer accept payment for firearms license applications, duplicate license requests or manual inked fingerprint cards by mail. If a payment or fingerprint card is received by mail, it will be returned to the applicant.Application payments must be made electronically through the Fireaems License Application Portal. Please contact your Local Law Enforcement Agency for special circumstances.

It says the only way to pay is via the 'Fireaems (sic) License Application Portal'
    NOPE!
    PS: I did point out to them that they misspelled 'Firearms'....
    It is the same portal that tells me I owe, but does not give me anyway to pay online.

I send an e-mail and I get a response...
    "Sir in researching your inquiry the ability to add a payment is inactivate at this time you will need to submit your payment by mail the Indiana State Police can not accept Personal Checks."
    Hello! Your website clearly states as of 1/1/17 (we are beyond that date) you won't take my payment via mail, and will send it back! Which is it? (At least they fixed their typo on the website - I checked)

You would think in this day and age they could have a hyperlink in their 'disclaimer' to take you to the payment portal, but not in Indianapolis. NOPE!
    I mean isn't one of the strengths of government is how to take We the Peoples' money?

I am going to call them today. I think I will just start over from scratch and see if that will work. I'll keep you posted.

End RANT

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP, have you contacted your local state Rep and/or Senator? And just hopefully they'll have an R after their name or at least be a true Blue Dog D.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Sorry to hear that. Should have been a fireman brother, we get stuff done!! Hahaha, all joking aside. This sounds like typical non functioning government crap. It's a shame man. My son just applied for his last Tuesday and got his in the mail yesterday. Hope you get it all cleared up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm sure you have already looked at these, but a couple of statutes that seem pertinent...or may be if you retired after June 30, 2005.

After June 30, 2005, all law enforcement agencies shall issue annually to each person who has retired from that agency as a law enforcement officer a photographic identification.
    Ind. Code § 35-47-15-4

(d) The following officers of this state or the United States who have been honorably retired by a lawfully created pension board or its equivalent after at least twenty (20) years of service or because of a disability are exempt from the payment of fees specified in subsection (b):
    (1) Police officers.
    (2) Sheriffs or their deputies.
    (3) Law enforcement officers.
    (4) Correctional officers.

Ind. Code § 35-47-2-4

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    I went through the process to get it. It wasn't too bad...then again i didn't have anything special to prove. I will say this. everywhere was completely booked for finger printing so i drove up to paoli and paid 11 bucks or what ever it was to get the prints done there. then back to Corydon to pay my local fees. Lots of driving for something that could have been done all in one place. But they couldn't budge on the schedule...(unless they wanted to).

Sucks your having a hard time.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Sorry to hear that. Should have been a fireman brother, we get stuff done!!.....
    I used to say that all the time.... better to get paid to eat, sleep, work out, chase puss... cats.... but I could never do the white buttons on a dark shirt (at least in CA that was the uniform) ;) All kidding aside, I learnt as a rookie - bring a few tubs of ice cream to the local firehouse (enough for each shift) when you rotate in. That way, if you need a 7B (bathroom break), a hot cup, or a place to hang out, the station is your friend. I even had the brothers in Hollister FD let me bunk there for a couple of weeks after my ex locked me out of the house (long story, nuff said) and before I could secure housing.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I'm sure you have already looked at these, but a couple of statutes that seem pertinent...or may be if you retired after June 30, 2005.

Ind. Code § 35-47-15-4

Ind. Code § 35-47-2-4
    I had not gotten that far.... thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I used to say that all the time.... better to get paid to eat, sleep, work out, chase puss... cats.... but I could never do the white buttons on a dark shirt (at least in CA that was the uniform) ;) All kidding aside, I learnt as a rookie - bring a few tubs of ice cream to the local firehouse (enough for each shift) when you rotate in. That way, if you need a 7B (bathroom break), a hot cup, or a place to hang out, the station is your friend. I even had the brothers in Hollister FD let me bunk there for a couple of weeks after my ex locked me out of the house (long story, nuff said) and before I could secure housing.
    Ha, we could do this all day I promise but for to save the back and fourths of never ending fun between us I hope you get it straightened out. Good luck.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    If your going to post a thread you had better know exactly what your talking about, trust me. I've lived and learned. Some of these fellas are literal. They don't mean any harm.
    The point is, my point was made, and I am not bothered by the poignant correction pointedly proffered. If you noticed there were laughy-smiley faces, 'tis all good. I have a thick skin and a keen sense of humor, no worries. I've been around and have seen plenty of those 'literal' folks on here, and some that are 'illiteral' (I HATE typos and bad grammar) :rolleyes:. LOL #seewhatididthere

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Ha, we could do this all day I promise but for to save the back and fourths of never ending fun between us I hope you get it straightened out. Good luck.
    I'm sure you noticed my screen name (I hope that is the proper terminology lest the literals come with torches and pitchforks...) One coffee shop I used to visit the local seat warmers would always ask if I wanted a doughnut. I told them, "Just say no to doughnuts." After a bit I'd come in and they'd greet me with, "Hey Officer No Doughnuts!" - the rest is history. And now you know... the rest of the story. Good Day!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Sounds like a lot of work for $75.

Maybe,but the law is the law. Either he's entitle to a fee waived LTCH, or not.

However, I do understand the stress of dealing with a government bureaucracy. I get the opportunity to deal with little government fiefdoms each day. ;)

Top Bottom