• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    One question - why did it take "years of testing" ? How long can it take to test a magazine ? It surely can't have more than a dozen moving parts. It's not like it's a tank, or a even a new rifle. Those things must surely take decades to test.

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    One question - why did it take "years of testing" ? How long can it take to test a magazine ? It surely can't have more than a dozen moving parts. It's not like it's a tank, or a even a new rifle. Those things must surely take decades to test.

What happens if you leave one of these mags loaded for 5 years, then stick it in a rifle and go? Does years of stress cause any deformation of the feed lips? Do they crack over time?

One of the variables in testing is time. Humans aren't good at accelerating that variable.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    The author sure is a fan of superlatives isn't he? The data itself would be interesting in the testing comparisons as opposed to just saying "nobody comes close omg!!!1!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thank all that is good and holy. I can finally sleep tonight knowing that the USMC has a reliable magazine for their rifles. This has worried me for years.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The idiots that write these articles have probably never handled a firearm. Magazines from airplanes - only when pigs fly.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Magpul Industries PMAG GEN 3

Wouldn't it be quicker and more efficient if the Marines just shopped at Cabela's like the rest of us?

(Former DoD engineer; tongue only slightly in cheek.)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Are these mags jumping out of perfectly good aircraft?

Geez, I hope not. I don't think they're that stupid.

As one that served with less than desirable equipment at times I must say I love anything for our troops that actually works.
    I guess it took a long time to use plastics for combat purposes and the change was long in coming. "Use what ya got 'til you're issued something better"

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Damn she sounds like she works in the Magpul marketing dept. Also I have a number of those mags and have never once convinced any of them to accept a clip, with spoon or without. So I call bull****.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I've been searching all over for a magazine that "inserts rapidly on a closed vault"
    I bet these come with vault hold open option too, so you can't store them in your gun safe unless you want it to stay unlocked.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Seems strange the USMC would adopt a new magazine since they do not procure new equipment alone?
    After the adoption of the M-16 fiasco where the Air Force used its political clout to force the Army and the USMC to adopt the M-16.
    The Army has most of the responsibility of testing small arms the USMC has a portion. The Air Force and Navy have much less of a voice.

Ok I found the real message the USMC is authorized the magazine not as much fanfare as the story.

GENTEXT/RMKS/1. PURPOSE. THIS MESSAGE PROVIDES UPDATED GUIDANCE REGARDING THE USE OF MAGAZINES FOR THE M4/M16 SERIES AND M27 INFANTRY AUTOMATIC RIFLE (IAR). 2. BACKGROUND. MARINE CORPS UNITS WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE LEGACY MAGAZINE WHEN ORDERING NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) 1005-01-561-7200; THIS NSN WILL DEFAULT TO THE U.S. ARMY ENHANCED PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE (EPM), NSN 1005-01- 630-9508. AUTHORIZATION TO USE THE EPM FOR TRAINING USE ONLY WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 REMAINS THE SAME. 3. ACTION 3.A. PM IWS AUTHORIZES UNITS TO USE THE FOLLOWING POLYMER MAGAZINES WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, M27, AND M249: NSN 1005-01-615-5169 (BLACK) AND NSN 1005-01-659-7086 (COYOTE TAN). UNITS ARE AUTHORIZED TO REQUISITION THESE MAGAZINES WITH UNIT FUNDS. 3.B. PM IWS WILL UPDATE SL-3S FOR THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 TO LIST THE ABOVE POLYMER MAGAZINE NSNS. NO OTHER POLYMER MAGAZINES ARE AUTHORIZED FOR USE. 4. IOT PROVIDE IMMEDIATE AND SUSTAINING ACCESS TO ALL USERS, A PUBLICATION CONTROL NUMBER (PCN) WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THIS MESSAGE FOR ACCESS VIA THE WEAPONS SYSTEM ID NUMBER SEARCH IN SL-1

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ok, pmags are nice, but they are thicker. I think there will be issues with keeping a full combat load in the current mag carriers. Mine are almost too tight on GI mags. Actually there are two pouches that won't fit what they are supposed to. Also, the ribs and material on Pmags will make them more likely to snag things during mag changes.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    1) Having had things fall off my kit while exiting different aircraft, it's just a footnote to know they were drop tested.
    2) Yes, she does sound like a fanboy but the mags DO work so what's the big deal? I know there are plenty of professional and published writers here that would do a much better job but they weren't selected.
    3) Over inserting the mag can and has been an issue in the past so, again, it's nice knowing it's been addressed.
    4) Years of testing? Good! Anybody remember Dragon Skin that was "newest" "best" ? Thanks for the due diligence.
    5) Plastic is not plastic. Tupperware bowl is not same same as magazine. ;)

In closing, having spent years in the military and as a contractor, I am for going to any lengths to making sure our warfighters get the best equipment available. THAT allows me to sleep at night.

Bob

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What happens if you leave one of these mags loaded for 5 years, then stick it in a rifle and go? Does years of stress cause any deformation of the feed lips? Do they crack over time?...

The Gen 3 PMAGs com with a snap on "dust cover" that pushes down on the loaded rounds and keeps them from contacting the feed lips. Of course you have to use the cover in the first place and then remember to remove it before use.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You mean Dragon Skin doesn't pass testing?

I recently purchased a PMAG that would lock after the last round.

I use a mixture of steel mags with the green follower, PMAGs and a few Themomold for training.
    I really have not seen a huge advantage of one type over another ?

In my experience most magazine related failures were caused by worn out or dirty magazines.
    When I was a DS we used to show the PVT what was wrong with the magazine then crush em with the heel of our boot.

Then we would say something cool like "you gotta inspect you crap or you might get killed"

Top Bottom