• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Been thinking about getting an air rifle. 17 or 22 cal and working range 25 to 50 yards preferred. Mostly for plinking but accuracy is the most important without buying 1000 plus dollar gun.

What's good manufacture, action and caliber.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Yellow Forums is another good place to learn about air rifles. The Chinese QB78 and QB79 are popular as they are inexpensive and can be made accurate w/o much work. CO2 refills are easy to come by, and there are ways to use high pressure air (aka Pre Charged Pneumatic or PCP). The QB79 I have is WAY more accurate than I am.
    --Rick

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    snorko has a RWS Diana 45 in the classifieds. The Diana's are quality spring loaded air rifles. I have an old beat to heck and back RWS 48 that's a tack driver at 25 yds and has put several squirrels & rabbits in the pot when needed.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/non-firearms-related/429194-rws-diana-md-45-air-rifle.html

buy Snorko's, you won't be sorry!

I appreciate the props all, but we are pretty far apart. I would recommend the diana though. It just feels like quality.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Been eyeballing a Benjamin Trail XL for a while, nitro piston, .177, .22, or .25, hits 1100 fps with .22 alloy pellets... That's basically a .22LR, and 900fps with the .25

Read they need quite a bit of shooting to settle in, but once they do they seem solid, and under $300. Wanting to build a new shed/workshop this spring, and intend to have the loft double as a "pest control platform", heh.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The CMP sells used Daisy M853 for $105 , resealed and chrono'ed, new sling, apature sights,but plate spacers, super nice rifle, I have 3 of them, very accurate, so we'll worth the cash spent

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I forgot to add, there is a page on the CMP site that shows you how to do an adjustable trigger job on these, I did that,set my trigger at 1 1/2 pound pull, makes a world of difference.....a Good trigger is hard to find and lower end airguns

Aaron

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The CMP sells used Daisy M853 for $105 , resealed and chrono'ed, new sling, apature sights,but plate spacers, super nice rifle, I have 3 of them, very accurate, so we'll worth the cash spent

Aaron

Do you have to be a member of the CMP to buy their guns?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Been thinking about getting an air rifle. 17 or 22 cal and working range 25 to 50 yards preferred. Mostly for plinking but accuracy is the most important without buying 1000 plus dollar gun.

What's good manufacture, action and caliber.

I'm more into target airguns, but a friend of mine who is very "into" the outdoor magnum stuff recommends and speaks very highly of the Benjamin Discovery. He has many more expensive precharged airguns, but owns several Discoveries, recommends them as good trouble-free beginner guns and spends a lot of time shooting his own Discoveries (has 3 of them). It's a good basic gun, with a lot of parts availability if you want to upgrade it and make it nicer. Obviously you'd want to get a reservoir tank to fill it from, but then you'd have a well-supported, popular gun with plenty of parts availability and no pumping.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ok pretty much decided if I gonna do this it will be PCP. Any Good place to get deal on a tank? Like 22 cal, any reason I should consider 25 cal? Also thinking for a while I'll be shooting from a bench for target work more than a hunting expeditions, lol.

The Benjamin Discovery looks like good place to start. Few years back had a friend that swore by Daystate thus ends my knowledge. What I really want is something that is reasonably accurate at 50 yards or more. Seems like the nicer guns, plus 500, become quieter as well as more accurate. Does that have an advantage also, acting like a muzzle brake? Are the scopes for $100 decent?

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    if your looking just to plink or varmit control the bejamin trail in .22 is a tack driver after the 1k round break in. i think i paid 200 and you have to get a new scope because the one that comes with it is worthless. so not a bad choice at about 300 when its said and done.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I forgot to add, there is a page on the CMP site that shows you how to do an adjustable trigger job on these, I did that,set my trigger at 1 1/2 pound pull, makes a world of difference.....a Good trigger is hard to find and lower end airguns

Aaron

That's awesome, I'm gonna have to look at that when I get time.

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    I picked up a Benjamin Marauder for 399.99 on cabelas.com last year. I bought a .22 mainly because it it quiet. Occasionally regret not having got the .25 but ammo is cheaper and widely available with many more options in .22. The .25 Marauder has a green mountain barrel, better kit than the standard crosman barrel on mine but the crows can't tell the difference. I looked at the other benjamins but got the marauder because buy once, cry once. Even if you pay regular price your budget has plenty of wiggle room for tanks, a pump, and a decent if not spectacular scope. It's fun, haven't had one since I was a kid.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I picked up a Benjamin Marauder for 399.99 on cabelas.com last year. I bought a .22 mainly because it it quiet. Occasionally regret not having got the .25 but ammo is cheaper and widely available with many more options in .22. The .25 Marauder has a green mountain barrel, better kit than the standard crosman barrel on mine but the crows can't tell the difference. I looked at the other benjamins but got the marauder because buy once, cry once. Even if you pay regular price your budget has plenty of wiggle room for tanks, a pump, and a decent if not spectacular scope. It's fun, haven't had one since I was a kid.

LOVE my Marauder!!! The power and accuracy are amazing for someone used to daisy and crosman $50 pump guns!

Top Bottom