• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Interesting read. I've always used breakfree and slip 2000. Not because I think they're the best, but because that's what has always worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    We small bore bore guys have used penetrating oil for years as a bore cleaner,I like kroil (in fact my Anschutz owners manual says clean barrel with oil only)

If your barrel is really fauled twist up a soft ear plug,insert it in the end of your barrel , fill with oil, stand on end (with barrel end protected) let sit for a few days......

Really interesting read

Aaron

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been using either Permatex or Lucas Oil "engine assembly lube" on my guns for the last couple of years.
    Works well and is much cheaper than most "gun lubes".

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good read came to the same conclusion years ago. I also know marketing hype when I see it and also have a degree in business.

I use whatever is in my shop at the time a gun needs cleaned. Using Kroil right now and some white grease and carb clean or brake clean.

Next time I am out going to hit Joann Fabrics or Walmart craft section for some small applicator bottles. I like an oil with Teflon in it. Like the guy said it doesn't matter what you use as long as you take the time to clean them up a little when needed.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    It is really odd that we pick certain cleaners/lubes and really stick with them. I've been using Hoppes for years, just because that smell always says "I went shooting". I've used FrogLube lately (simply because I wanted to try something new). As the son of an Army DI, I was taught to clean guns way before i was taught to shoot, it's in my blood you could say. So clean 'em, and keep 'em clean.

If you think gun owners can be nuts about the products they use to care for their firearms, try owning a motorcycle and asking what kind of engine oil to use. The answers range from "Whatever Wal-Mart has on sale", to "If you don't use the same stuff the Space Shuttle uses you'll blow up your engine". We are an informative lot of people, but not very tolerant to change...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'll ask the dumb question....

What's the difference between an oil, a lube, and a degreaser? As in when should you use one over the other?

I feel kinda stupid. I have always just used Hoppes and 3 in 1 oil. After buying my first AR a while back, I start seeing all the forum talk about different this or that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting article. I have a personal policy of using the mildest cleaning agent and working my way up until I get whatever it is that I am cleaning, well, clean.

So most of those cleaners that contain Acetone and/or Toulene aren't needed for my firearms.

I clean with some kind of CLP when I am shooting them often and if I am not going to shoot them for some time, I do a detail strip, soak them in some type of "orange" cleaner, then rinse and lube.

At the range I keep a little bottle of oil of some sort in case I'm shooting a LOT and I need to add some lube. Usually this is on the slide rails of my 1911. I remove the slide give the rails a nice wipe with a rag, add some oil, re-assemble, rack it a few time times to distribute the oil and shoot on.

I used to be anal-retentive about keeping my firearms spotless. I have since moved on. I have done my own personal testing by shooting 100's and 100's of rounds through a firearm waiting for it to malfunction. When I finally got tired of getting black ooze all over my hands, clothing and gear, I cleaned it. The only firearm that I have that starts to malfunction when dirty is my autoloader shotgun. It will not lock the bolt back on soft target shells if it gets too dirty. This is usually after about 150-200 shots fired.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    What's the difference between an oil, a lube, and a degreaser? As in when should you use one over the other?
    A degreaser is a cleaner usually containing some sort of solvent or surfactant designed to remove whatever lubricant and dirt might be on the object being cleaned or degreased.

Oils are often lightweight lubricants that are runny. Depending on how lightweight it is, the lubricant might run off the item being lubed or it might evaporate. Because of this, some folks suggest using a grease which is thicker and doesn't tend to run off or evaporate. For example, you might use a grease on the slide of a semi-auto pistol. I once read a comment from a gun enthusiast lubrication engineer who suggested that you should use an oil on things that rotate and a grease on things that slide.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I recently received an email from "steve" at some survivalist website that occasionally sends me junk mail, that stated the Govt was "buying up all the lubricant out there" because they figured that with no lubricant, then our guns would be worthless. Now I know BS when I read it, and this site seems to want me to always buy something after sending me a provocatively written headline, so I'm not worried about it as much...but just to err on the side of caution, has anyone else heard this rumor running around?

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I used to be a mechanic, so my guns get what I use on my cars, not gonna change anytime soon.

Top Bottom