• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods feel free to move it if it is not.

I have been wanting to assemble an ar pistol and hope to do it this year. My plan is to use it as my primary HD gun. I am still trying to decide between 5.56 and 300 blackout. I have a 5.56 rifle, so I could use the same ammo with a 5.56 pistol. The 300 blackout appeals to me due to it being designed around shorter barrels, and still performing well when I eventually get a suppressor. From what I have learned so far 5.56 loses ALOT when using this configuration. I do not reload, so 300 would add cost on ammo. Any thoughts from people who have experience with this would be appreciated.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A suppressed 8" barreled .300BO rifle/pistol stoked with 30 subs would be formidable.

And suppressed it's not likely to ruin hearing when shot indoors, either.

Even suppressed, the 5.56 is damaging. Plus, one can only go "so short" and still get a warranted suppressor.

Given the two, I'd go .300 BO.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My concern with subs from a 300BLK would be terminal effect...unless you are talking specialty subsonic bullets like Lehigh Defense.

110-125gr supers would work quite well, but of course be louder.

From a stub-nosed 5.56, one can get excellent HD terminal effects from factory loads like the 62gr Federal Fusion, Hornady 50gr GMX, Speer 64gr Gold Dot, Barnes TAC-X 55gr or Mk318 SOST...but its gonna be LOUD.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I pondered this in the past and decided on a 8" .300blk subsonic suppressed. The knockdown power of the .300 was much greater than the 5.56. I tried to get the 5.56 subsonic to work in my SBR but it just doesn't like it. Search the Long gun and Class 3 forums for a ton more info on the differences between the two.
    Dan

Top Bottom