• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Hey folks, my son has become a real tank man. He has become a bit of a fanatic. We happened by an M4 Sherman the other day at a legion in Attica Indiana. Kid went nuts. My question is - does any one know of or can a legionnaire sound off on what legions or VFW's might have big equipment on display? I've tried google...but no real luck. Any hel greatly appreciated. Looking for SPG, TANKS, PLANES.
    Thank you,
    Jake and Elee

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Camp perry has a nice display of decommissioned tanks , helicopter, and missiles.....plus it's a great excuse to visit the cmp store

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If you want one closer the American Legion on lee road has a couple of things and by a couple of things I mean three. So not much but looks cool they have a tank, plane and Vietnam bomb with the wings. Hope that helps, your a good dad.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Camp Atturbury has a nice display of tanks and a couple of Huey's as well. Down by Edinburg Indiana.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey folks, my son has become a real tank man. He has become a bit of a fanatic. We happened by an M4 Sherman the other day at a legion in Attica Indiana. Kid went nuts. My question is - does any one know of or can a legionnaire sound off on what legions or VFW's might have big equipment on display? I've tried google...but no real luck. Any hel greatly appreciated. Looking for SPG, TANKS, PLANES.
    Thank you,
    Jake and Elee
    There's an up-gunned Sherman in Brownstown.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    There's an up-gunned Sherman in Brownstown.

Friend of mine's granddad backed that Sherman in to position. He was a tank driver in the war. The joke was he supposedly helped rob a bank while in the military. the tank on display points at the bank across the street. :)

Atterbury, as others have said, is a pretty decent museum. They have a Sherman, maybe a Patton(definitely a Vietnam era tank...), and even an Abrams on display.

Fort Knox has a smallish display of tanks these days down in Kentucky.

There is a pretty neat museum in Vincennes Indiana as well.

Indiana Military Museum

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I think the American Legion in Fairmount has some pretty cool stuff on the front lawn. Its been years since I've been through there though.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    If you go to Vincennes see if you can get in the garage next to the museum. That is where a lot of the running armor is stored.
    Also on Labor Day weekend they have reenactments where WW2 era tanks, Sherman and Stuart are driven as well as half tracks, and last year they had a German half track. Plus there are several others on display.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The VFW on Lee road just north of 63rd street near Fort Ben has an older jet out front.
    The one on Holt just north of 70 has a tracked armored personal carrier. Brownsburg VFW on 136 has a jeep and the noblesville one has an artillery piece if I remember correctly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Atterbury would be a nice stop for you and your son. The tank park is about a mile away from the Atterbury Shooting Complex, so you can take him shooting, then go look at the old tanks. There are a handful there, with 2 Shermans, an M1, Patton and several others. In addition, there are a couple of missile launchers and artillery. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of them.

Top Bottom