• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Was contacted by text yesterday re a gun i have on armlist. 260 area code so relatively local. He asked about the price and what came with it. He said he was in Ft Wayne but makes it into indy. I said great. He then asks if we can meet in Noblesville, I said I'd throw in a extra mag if he came to Indy. He asked for some extra ammo, says his name is Rob just wants to get a little for his drive> sure NP I'll throw in 100 rds. He asks to buy 200 more we agree on a price and set it up for sunday. I say great need to see LTCH driver license and sign BOS. Only info on BOS is our names and gun serial number. He responds his LTCH is expired, but NP signing BOS. I say no LTCH no sale but if he wants we can go through and FFL in indy. He declines.
    Was I paranoid or could this have been a sting? I do have several items listed. I m trying to get some money together to recoup a large out lay of money.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Probably paranoia on your part, and laziness on his. Once the lifetime permit was offered I bought it just to save the hassle every four years,which is a hassle for those of us that live in Marion County.
    I think you missed out on selling your gun.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    What would the violation have been? There is no requirement that a LTCH is required by the purchaser on private to private state residents. So what would have been the "offense"?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    What would the violation have been? There is no requirement that a LTCH is required by the purchaser on private to private state residents. So what would have been the "offense"?

Exactly, and he was still willing to sign the BOS. Now if the OP tries to contact this guy, the deal has most likely been blown, unless he really really wanted it.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    My concern was along the lines of BATF. Selling to an individual I did not know was a proper person. Id rather be out money than chance making a mistake.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Your only requirement for selling is to make sure you're selling to a resident of the same state you are in (driver's liscense covers this) and that as far as you can tell they aren't a felon (ask, google their name, check mugshot records online) a felon most likely would never sign a BOS, especially if you seen their DL. The LTCH is just a quick way to cover yourself

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Your decision. Myself, if the person would have shown a valid drivers liscense, and been willing to sign a BOS, I would have sold the firearm. LTCH is quick and easy check for a proper person. But also a LTCH is an infringement upon the rights delineated in the constitution. "shall not be infringed"!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My understanding is that the ATF rarely goes after an individual sale. A more likely scenario is targeting dealers at gun shows, which has happened at the Indy 1500. I can't remember his name, only that he lived in Greenwood. The ATF set him up, by buying from him multiple times at several shows, with an out of state DL. In other words he had multiple chances not to sell to ATF agents, yet he did time and time again. It made the news, the ATF raided his house and confiscated several weapons, I can't remember the number, but I do remember hearing that they just threw them all in big plastic totes not caring if they damaged them or not. If I remember some of them were very collectible, Colt snake guns etc.

Unless you are selling a lot of guns, and someone from the ATF has googled your email address and then decided to target you, I think you are just being paranoid. But like others have stated, your gun your rules.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Further more, as a collector/shooter/gun owner, I have done my share of deals (not for profit of course) to better my collection. And I can tell you, that gun owners/buyers are a fickle bunch. You have effectively blown that deal.
    This should be a life lesson to you. You would have been just fine selling with a BOS and him having a VALID IN DL.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My concern was along the lines of BATF. Selling to an individual I did not know was a proper person. Id rather be out money than chance making a mistake.

Lulz, no. It's not illegal to sell without seeing a LTCH and an expired one isn't making him an "improper person".

BATFE locally has their hands full. They are not doing "stings" for one guy/one gun crimes. They aren't even taking referrals for one guy/one gun crimes that are handed to them as part of someone else's investigation unless the "one guy" has a serious criminal history...if then.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Your gun, your rules for selling.

Absolutely! Whether or not the sale would be legal is totally irrelevant in comparison to your comfort level. I've never sold a gun on any other site but have had a couple of guys on INGO get upset about my guidelines for selling a gun. I'm not paranoid, I'm cautious.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    What did y'all do before IN started issuing LTCH? What's going to happen if IN passes a constitutional carry and no longer requires a carry card? Petition for the state to have a FOID card system so you can sell to a private party?

No LTCH? Check their ID and scribble up a BOS. OR print out a blank sale slip that are availabe online, if they fill it out (includes their address and everything to boot) I think it's a pretty solid system myself and I have sold plenty of times that way, a lot of folks don't have LTCH, and use a gun just for sporting reasons, if all I own is a scattergun, a 10-22 and a deer rifle I have no use for a carry permit.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I hear what you're saying Flo and agree to some level. The OP did not specify if it was a pistol, shotgun, .22 rifle, etc. I would have a different level of paranoia depending on the weapon. I would like for them to have a LTCH if I was selling a compact pistol, but agree it is not required legally. Shotgun, wouldn't care. Guess it is a desire to 'do the right thing', which is a different bar for everyone.

Act within the law and your conscience.

Top Bottom