Pittsburgh Man Fires Gun to Scare Burglar, Police Return Fire And Kill Him.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's more to that story. With all the emphasis she was placing on "my gun" I figured he was going to end up being a felon. Sure enough: "Mr. Thompkins had spent 10 years in a state prison in connection with the shooting death of a man who was trying to protect Ms. Robinson from Mr. Thompkins who, at the time, was her husband, though the couple had been separated for a month...In 1997, Mr. Thompkins, who had resided in Penn Hills at the time, was convicted of third-degree murder for shooting to death a handyman who had gotten in the middle of a domestic dispute between Mr. Thompkins and Ms. Robinson."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Where's a warning shot going to go when done inside a home? There's too many things that can go wrong...getting shot by the cops apparently is one of them.

Yeah, there's more to this story.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's more to that story. With all the emphasis she was placing on "my gun" I figured he was going to end up being a felon. Sure enough: "Mr. Thompkins had spent 10 years in a state prison in connection with the shooting death of a man who was trying to protect Ms. Robinson from Mr. Thompkins who, at the time, was her husband, though the couple had been separated for a month...In 1997, Mr. Thompkins, who had resided in Penn Hills at the time, was convicted of third-degree murder for shooting to death a handyman who had gotten in the middle of a domestic dispute between Mr. Thompkins and Ms. Robinson."

C'mon man, the former VP said warning shots were, :yesway::yesway:? Interested to know what Indiana law would say, even though he's not here?

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    The police should have identified themselves. Also he shouldn't of fired any warning shot either. Its kinda sucks for him if he truly was turning his life around & doing things right. I cant really see how the burglar only gets hit with trespass & not breaking & entering or burglary, that one kinds stumps me but im not the police so idk.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The police should have identified themselves. Also he shouldn't of fired any warning shot either. Its kinda sucks for him if he truly was turning his life around & doing things right. I cant really see how the burglar only gets hit with trespass & not breaking & entering or burglary, that one kinds stumps me but im not the police so idk.

I was confused by this too.... obviously a lot more to this story.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

State laws vary, but here there is no "breaking and entering" law. Burglary requires you to enter with the intent to commit a felony or theft. If I break in your house to urinate in a potted plant and then leave, it's not a burglary but would be "Residential Entry" instead.

Police generally wait until they are set up to announce themselves. I don't start yelling "police police" as I get out of my car. Particuarly when it could be a hostage situation...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In an effort to be more conciliatory in 2017, I'm not going to say anything about warning shots in this thread. For now. :)

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette

State laws vary, but here there is no "breaking and entering" law. Burglary requires you to enter with the intent to commit a felony or theft. If I break in your house to urinate in a potted plant and then leave, it's not a burglary but would be "Residential Entry" instead.

Police generally wait until they are set up to announce themselves. I don't start yelling "police police" as I get out of my car. Particuarly when it could be a hostage situation...

How would you know their intent if they where scared & left or got shot before said crime was committed? If someone breaks in my house im not waiting to see what their intentions are I would shoot 1st as they should of never broke in my residence to begin with. Unless I knew that someone was expected but more than likely the sound of glass breaking or door being kicked in then you know its not a friend. So how would that work out with the police if I where to shoot a home invader where as they had committed no crime other than residential entry, would I be protected in such a case with self defense? It is generally dark in my residence & I always know if someone is expected but would hate to have to go to jail for protecting my family from a potential who knows what their intentions are/where but would gladly do so for my family's protection.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    How would you know their intent if they where scared & left or got shot before said crime was committed? If someone breaks in my house im not waiting to see what their intentions are I would shoot 1st as they should of never broke in my residence to begin with. Unless I knew that someone was expected but more than likely the sound of glass breaking or door being kicked in then you know its not a friend. So how would that work out with the police if I where to shoot a home invader where as they had committed no crime other than residential entry, would I be protected in such a case with self defense? It is generally dark in my residence & I always know if someone is expected but would hate to have to go to jail for protecting my family from a potential who knows what their intentions are/where but would gladly do so for my family's protection.

So no matter what you would shoot first and ask questions later, target identification be damned? Sounds like a good, well-thought plan.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, there's a few issues. One, you need to verify your target. It could be a family member, the drunk next door in the wrong house, or the autistic kid down the street who's panicked. Everyone has seen those incidents happen in the news, don't be the next one.

Next, you're conflating two issues, when you can use deadly force and what charges the suspect would face. What they would be charged with is irrelevant. Look up the IC code for deadly force and your questions should be answered pretty quickly. However you asked about charges and why not burglary. To file charges, I have to be able to prove the elements of the crime. One of the elements of burglary is the intent to commit a felony or theft. If I cannot prove that intent, I cannot (successfully) charge burglary.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

How many stories on INGO need you read of parents shooting children coming home in the dark because the parents were "scared".

Rule #4 exists for a reason.

Top Bottom