The next two years...Sell, Hold, or Buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It is apparent from the gun forums, magazines, and websites that I consume that there is a great deal of optimism within the gun owner's community in conjunction with election of President Trump.

In addition to that, I keep seeing signs of the "gun market" relaxing...guns that used to get scooped up at $1000 now languish on the classifieds at $800, Oly is closing its doors, ammo is plentiful (if not as cheap as pre-panic days), and I can find a $600 AR on the shelf at every one of my favored LGS.

So, is this recent trend toward a "buyer's market" indicative of a new golden era of firearms ownership, or just a quick market adjustment? I think there is a possibility that a Trump presidency will solidify support on the left, and the next Midterm elextion could be disastrous. On the other hand, I think there is a possibility that permanent progress could be made in these next two years, opening up the potential for renewed "halcyon days" ahead.

What does INGO think? Buy now...wait and see...sell the entire collection while there is still some value left?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Old guns are still going up, I think the only price reductions are going to come from guns that scare big media.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Not planning on buying a whole lot. I do plan on upgrading my CCW, would like to go from a 380 to a 45. I thought about another AR in 9mm, maybe a Taurus 92 in stainless. For now, I'm going to set back and wait. Probably the only guns I will be buying will be any Finnish Mosins that I will fill holes in the collection. I think its going to be a buyers market for awhile...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Old guns are still going up, I think the only price reductions are going to come from guns that scare big media.

Agreed. Everything that got a big manufacturing hike when it looked like it might get banned. That old Winchester 1894? Still a good investment. That stack of stripped lowers? Maybe not the best choice.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'm slowing way down, no real purchase plans (other than CZ P01 Omega if they are real). Ammunition only, but going to wait & see if pricing keeps dropping, & more 300 BLK projectiles. Of course there are obscure "HK greatness coming later this year", that may change my plans.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm slowing way down, no real purchase plans (other than CZ P01 Omega if they are real). Ammunition only, but going to wait & see if pricing keeps dropping, & more 300 BLK projectiles. Of course there are obscure "HK greatness coming later this year", that may change my plans.

My "finances", should improve this year, so I will be watching and BUYING .....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Buy, buy, buy.

You should be buying lowers, magazines and, very soon (as the prices begin to lower), ammunition.

This is my plan. Lowers, parts kits, BCG's, mags, etc. I cast & reload so components are on the list as well.

There will come a day when the left will have power again. Something tells me that when that happens they won't drag their feet and miss opportunities like they have in the past. They've never been a gun owners friend, but I'm seeing things now that I didn't see before. It appears to me that the left is going even more moonbat than normal. They've always been difficult to deal with but it seems they've really locked up the brakes now. Once they gain power again they will do things just out of spite because they feel that's what's happening to them right now.

If I'm wrong, then I'll still have a nice collection and spare parts to last for decades. I can't see the downside to stocking up of things.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The answer to the question must be followed by the question of, "Why do you own firearms?"

If you own them purely as an investment now is NOT the time to sell. Gun owners morale is high, the panic buying is over and prices are dropping.

However, if you need the money or find another investment stream that you believe is on the rise, you could sell now, take a minor loss before the bottom is reached, and divert your gained cash into this other investment stream to buy while it is low in hopes of maximizing profit there.

Also, you may(?) be able to take a loss on the investment for tax purposes, so checking with your accountant on the details may show an avenue of assuaging the loss with a tax benefit.

If you own them as an investment you will also want to wait for a while before buying. The market hasn't bottomed out yet and what you spent $1,000 on two (2) years ago may be $800 today and $650 in another two (2) years, so now wouldn't be the best time to buy. Caveat: another mass school shooting may(?) cause a brief hiccup in that so be wary.

If you own firearms simply to collect, enjoy, or hunt I would delay waiting to buy expecting the market to drop but wouldn't allow that to stop me from scooping up something I really wanted. Here you have to weigh the enjoyment you would get out of owning now versus the discipline of waiting and hoping for the price to fall farther. As it may not fall or the product may become hard to find for other reasons I wouldn't let it stop me if I really, really wanted it.

In the beginning of 2020 all of this can be thrown out the window as a new election will begin. If Pres Trump is riding high expect the bottom to have been reached and buying should be good to go. If Pres Trump is in real trouble either in the primary or general election the idiots that panic will throw the market into upheaval. Ergo, I see about 36 monthes of stability before the market will be significantly rocked. Of course, all of this goes out the window if there is an event or series of events that tilt the scales in one direction or the other.

Just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Doug

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will just buy what I want. I don't feel any pressure to snap up one more AR, just to have one more. I may save up and get a DD or BCM. Maybe get a nicer optic.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Also, you may(?) be able to take a loss on the investment for tax purposes, so checking with your accountant on the details may show an avenue of assuaging the loss with a tax benefit.

Now, I know one can hold many things as investments (artwork, vehicles, etc) and that doesn't necessarily make one a dealer, but I wonder if the whole trying to take an investment loss on guns might not open you to some concerns about not having your FFL. Just a question for the tax attorneys or others around here who may know.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Wait till tax time here in a few weeks to months. There will be more stuff popping up for sale. I always seem to find my best deal or deals in March or April.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Bought an SD9VE for home defense. Love it. Now I'm bit... want an M&P shield for CC and an AR for SHTF. Lucky me prices are down. ;)

oh, and a 1911 in .45... and a vintage peacemaker... and... and...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is apparent from the gun forums, magazines, and websites that I consume that there is a great deal of optimism within the gun owner's community in conjunction with election of President Trump.

In addition to that, I keep seeing signs of the "gun market" relaxing...guns that used to get scooped up at $1000 now languish on the classifieds at $800, Oly is closing its doors, ammo is plentiful (if not as cheap as pre-panic days), and I can find a $600 AR on the shelf at every one of my favored LGS.

So, is this recent trend toward a "buyer's market" indicative of a new golden era of firearms ownership, or just a quick market adjustment? I think there is a possibility that a Trump presidency will solidify support on the left, and the next Midterm elextion could be disastrous. On the other hand, I think there is a possibility that permanent progress could be made in these next two years, opening up the potential for renewed "halcyon days" ahead.

What does INGO think? Buy now...wait and see...sell the entire collection while there is still some value left?

I buy what I like. I don't think I've ever sold a gun. I don't really have the urge either -- but then again, my collection's not as big as a lot of folks'. I hope I never have to sell for financial reasons.

I get that now is the time to buy and stock up. And I'll probably regret it but I'm not going to go out and impulse buy or horde guns...ammo, I might to some extent but if I don't have the itch, I'm not going to buy a bunch of guns just to be buying.

Top Bottom