• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I would agree with you. They truly are something! Feel in the hand and natural pointability...really hard to match. And the history alone and the part it has played in US service around the world is pretty noteworthy!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 1911 Semiautomatic Pistol: Why America's Enemies Still Fear This 100-Year-Old Gun | The National Interest Blog

I`ve always kind of wanted a 1911, just to have one. In my mind and heart, it could never replace the reliability of my beloved Glocks, but I certainly understand and appreciate the history and affection for these wonderful old pistols.

Great article.

Now as to the statement about reliability. I just never seem to understand that mind set. No knock on you or anyone that has those opinions but in this I and many others just must be the luckiest people in our 1911's as they run and run and run and run.
    Nothing is flawless as ammo and some magazines will inherently cause issues but if one prepares properly as in anything these issues are just minimal if ever.

No one can argue the reliability of the Austrian offerings but I do grow weary of the shadow that cheap and ill maintained 1911's have cast in my favorite platform.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Great article.

Now as to the statement about reliability. I just never seem to understand that mind set. No knock on you or anyone that has those opinions but in this I and many others just must be the luckiest people in our 1911's as they run and run and run and run.
    Nothing is flawless as ammo and some magazines will inherently cause issues but if one prepares properly as in anything these issues are just minimal if ever.

No one can argue the reliability of the Austrian offerings but I do grow weary of the shadow that cheap and ill maintained 1911's have cast in my favorite platform.

1911`s have gotten a bad rap, but because I`ve had no experience with them, I could only accept what I`d read about them. A guy I used to work with was very passionate about them, but, he had TWO that he had highly customized at Wilson Combat, each gun with all the work costing him around $1500. I love all the history surrounding them, and all the US military service associated with them. Maybe one day I`ll have the money to have one for a little before I pass on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1911`s have gotten a bad rap, but because I`ve had no experience with them, I could only accept what I`d read about them. A guy I used to work with was very passionate about them, but, he had TWO that he had highly customized at Wilson Combat, each gun with all the work costing him around $1500. I love all the history surrounding them, and all the US military service associated with them. Maybe one day I`ll have the money to have one for a little before I pass on.

And.....as our funny talking instructor from the video says.......Glock back up.........:dunno:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have 2 Taurus 1911s, 2 RIA 1911s, a Charles Daly and a Springfield. The only problems I have had came from my reloads. With factory ammo, they all run 100%. Yea, even my junk Taurus 1911s run 100%. Oh well, it would get pretty boring if we walked into a gunshop and they sold only one type of firearm.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Everyone wants to be able to throw their pistol down in the sandbox, drag it through the river, drop it out of an airplane and blow it up with tannerite. Won't work after that? It must suck. Seriously, who does this crap? Weapons accidentally get dropped on rare occasions, and they get a little dirty in normal use. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Over the course of 30,000 rounds, yeah, you will see more maintenance out of a 1911. Who cares? Shoot what works for you and take care of it. I guarantee if you ever have to use it in anger, it will be a software problem that gets you killed, not a hardware problem *if* you have shot that particular gun and ammo combination enough to know it is reliable, and you have maintained it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everyone wants to be able to throw their pistol down in the sandbox, drag it through the river, drop it out of an airplane and blow it up with tannerite. Won't work after that? It must suck. Seriously, who does this crap? Weapons accidentally get dropped on rare occasions, and they get a little dirty in normal use. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Over the course of 30,000 rounds, yeah, you will see more maintenance out of a 1911. Who cares? Shoot what works for you and take care of it. I guarantee if you ever have to use it in anger, it will be a software problem that gets you killed, not a hardware problem *if* you have shot that particular gun and ammo combination enough to know it is reliable, and you have maintained it.

​"WINNER"

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You can read TONS of accounts of FTF and FTE events with 1911's on the internet...and from quality major manufacturers. Don't see 1/100th of the complaints of ANY other type of pistol. Facts-is-facts.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Over my relatively short shooting career and having spent a lot of time around some serious hardware, I will say that I've seen more malfunctions with a G**** than with a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can read TONS of accounts of FTF and FTE events with 1911's on the internet...and from quality major manufacturers. Don't see 1/100th of the complaints of ANY other type of pistol. Facts-is-facts.

Well....statistics are exactly that. Stats.
    Been running a 1911 in some form or another since 1962 (:oldwise:) with some burps and farts along the very long road. Most were mag related. Learned how to overcome that issue. There were a few limp wrists when I was 12/13 and just learning. My uncle's toe in my butt crack solved that. I learned to keep-em clean. Had a few mechanical failures out past 10K on a couple of Paras. The recoil spring plugs launched down range with the last round. Had a Springer loaded bad out of the box. That about covers it. Nothing I have not seen (well, G***K's have no recoil spring plug..:):) in many other firearms. G***K's included.

I can off hand think of maybe 50 Ingo members that have ran my 1911's and probably more than that. No failures. None.
    Just saying. Stats is stats.

Yes, they are man made machines. Yes they do need attention. So do Harley Davidson's but I love them as well.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom