• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I keep seeing all the comments about buying magazine, more mags, "I just bought a 10pk" and such.

I'm really trying to understand the the point of a massive mag hoard.

PMAGs and such are so ubiquitous now that I don't see how the day can come where there are NO mags to be found, even in a WROL or SHTF scenario. There will always bee a mag market, even if a black one with inflated prices.

If legislation is passed, it will likely include grandfathering. And if it doesn't? Well, you are a criminal for using the mags in your stockpile.

I can see a mag hoard if it's part of an actual plan for ammo organizing. Say you use FDE for all your .300lk mag, some OD green for your "real deal' mags, and black for regular practice/range use. But why would one need 50 or more of each per rifle?

I can't run more than one AR at a time, and I'm not going to end up with 15-20 rifles. I see no utility to my having a stack of magazines 100 deep.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My philosophy on mags and ammo is the same as the guns they feed.
    Two is one, one is none. Better to have and not need, than need and not have. I have lived through too many ammo and mag shortages to go unprepared now.
    As usual, YMMV.

DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    If any laws are passed there will be no grandfathering. The Democrats have repeatedly said they have learned there lesson about grandfathering, after the 94 ban.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I keep seeing all the comments about buying magazine, more mags, "I just bought a 10pk" and such.

I'm really trying to understand the the point of a massive mag hoard.

I can't run more than one AR at a time, and I'm not going to end up with 15-20 rifles. I see no utility to my having a stack of magazines 100 deep.

1. Yes, buy more mags.

2. The point is that the magazine for the AR-15, designed from the get go is disposable. Not designed to live forever. In training you will step on them, have them come apart, shut them in a SUV door (don't ask), etc.

3. If you have extras, others will have magazines.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've never been good at math, but I recall a phrase "a number approaching infinity."

I think right around there is a good number.

I'm not there yet.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As Kirk has stated the AR mags are considered a disposable item in use by the Armed forces. How many do I "need"? How many firearms do I "need"? How much Ammo do I "need"? The answer is probably far less than I already have. However I still purchase Mags, firearms, ammo and reloading supplies when I see a "good buy". If we were really honest, probably 3 or 4 firearms would be all a person "needs", probably a total of 1 to 10K total cartridges for those three / four firearms, and for those that reload, enough to reload a max of 10K rounds, however I have many times that.

My son and I collect firearms, ammo and accessories like mags. We have been doing this for more than 20 years. We enjoy our hobby, and continue to expand our collection. As an aside, other than the times when there was a big gun control scare and prices were outrageously elevated, I have never seen the prices of common firearms, Magazines or ammo reduce in price. As we didn't and won't purchase during the "scares" I believe every firearm related item we have purchased could be sold or traded for more than the value we have invested.

Guess it is just like every other hobby. It is like asking how many Lures does a fisherman "need"? How many balls or clubs does a Golfer "need"? How many Camera's does a Photographer "need"? I doubt most of us here that consider shooting a Hobby could justify the amount of money we have spent, but the items we purchase normally retain the value more than most other hobbies. Another issue it that if a SHTF situation does occur, I would rather have extra firearms, mags and ammo then a pile of gold. I feel sure I could trade a firearm or Magazines, and ammo for just about anything I or my family needs, as well as being able to defend and retain that which I have.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Why buy at inflated prices later when you can buy at good prices now? I've got 4 AR mags now, but plan on buying a couple more to feed my current rifle plus the one I'm building.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Need is completely subjective. Technically you don't need any since you can always manually feed one bullet at a time.

I don't believe that if standard capacity magazines are restricted that there will be grandfathering the next time around. They have already eliminated that in the latest California gun grabs.

Magazines are cheap now. They are basically disposable. There is no reason to not have as many as you want and can afford. I use them for storing ammo. The more that are out there the bigger the outcry will be if there is a try to ban them. The last time around even some of our own gun manufacturers sold us out (-cough ruger-) because they made "hunting" guns and Fudds were all like "doesn't apply to me so I won't say anything."

I have so many I don't know how many I have. They have always been bought on the cheap and if I ever need cash they won't have lost much if any value, and if they go up I'll happily make a little money on some of my stash. It's part of a diversified portfolio of real goods and precious metals, cash, interest bearing traditional investments, and supplies bought cheap and rotated for use in times of need.

Last edited:

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    PMAGs and such are so ubiquitous now that I don't see how the day can come where there are NO mags to be found, even in a WROL or SHTF scenario. There will always bee a mag market, even if a black one with inflated prices.

If legislation is passed, it will likely include grandfathering. And if it doesn't? Well, you are a criminal for using the mags in your stockpile.

I guess that answer depends on whether you'd rather be a buyer or a seller in the black market with inflated prices :).

And with regards to grandfather - take a look a Commifornia. Their latest monstrosity does not allow any grandfathering for mags. There are no guarantees that it couldn't happen elsewhere.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    This stuff isn't going to get cheaper and is always threatened by government.

I remember not that long ago Glock mags had a hundred dollar price tag on them per each. Ammo mags guns are always good investments. My wife never says no and knows exactly what "we" have on hand.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Well look at it this way. If you have, let's say 10 30-rd mags, that is ten mags for the one gun. Then you get another piece, now you have 5 30 rd, mags for each gun. OK you divide it however you wish, but they don't eat. And with current deals there are some pretty good investments to be made in magazines.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't think there is a maximum, but there is probably a minimum. I'd make sure you have at least enough to prevent needing to reload at the range.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Lest people forget that the enemy can be us. It was a republican president that sold us out (Bush) and it was a good old American gun manufacturer as well. I did not buy any Ruger product until after Bill was dead and rotted and the company made demonstrable strides towards acknowledging ALL RKBA rights. Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep. The cost of two packs of cigs will buy a magazine. Two drinks at a bar will do it. One a month is something anyone can afford.

The Gun Zone RKBA -- William B. Ruger, Sr.'s dirty little secret

Last edited:

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I think I currently have 6 30 round pmags and I 40 rounder. I just got the 40 rounder recently for 10 bucks from a guy I work with. I know guys that have several hundred mags. Having a disabled wife, and a limited budget, I dont forsee ever having, say 100 ar mags. But I will buy some more, I just look at them as a tool I need in the toolbox.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I am new to the AR having just bought my first one last week, it came with one 30 rounder.

Need advice please. What would be the best buy for additional mags now, links please?

Thank you in advance, can't wait for the weather to warm a bit so I can get out and try it.

Ruger AR 556

Top Bottom