• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I currently have a 7.5" AR in 5.56. Does anyone have experience with a 10.5 in 300 BO? I am thinking about getting the barrel to essentially have 2 different guns with a simple barrel swap.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I've got one from BCM with a Leopold mk4 that is absolutely sweat! I took it to a range up north (wabash, I think) and was easily capable of repeated 700 yard hits on their steel. Where it really shines is burning it up on shorter ranges, though. It's supremely handy.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    .300 Blk is good in any barrel length in my opinion. When you said barrel swap you meant upper swap didn't you? I would go with a complete .300 upper. Switching out the barrel would be too much trouble.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've got one from BCM with a Leopold mk4 that is absolutely sweat! I took it to a range up north (wabash, I think) and was easily capable of repeated 700 yard hits on their steel. Where it really shines is burning it up on shorter ranges, though. It's supremely handy.

Sure....I bet:rolleyes:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    OP, the 300blk is a niche round. If you're not gonna reload for it and suppress it then don't bother. Even doing that it's not practical for anything but horsing around at the range. It sucks at killing anything and factory ammo eats too much of your wallet.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    OP, the 300blk is a niche round. If you're not gonna reload for it and suppress it then don't bother. Even doing that it's not practical for anything but horsing around at the range. It sucks at killing anything and factory ammo eats too much of your wallet.

I would disagree with you on this. Yes, there are better hunting rounds. Yes there are cheaper rounds. I generally shoot 120 grain Remington factory ammo in mine, $13 at Walmart for a box of 20. When hunting I switch to Hornady 110 grain max. Shoots perfect without having to change sight-in. I killed two deer at 65 yards this year, both broadside lung shot, both dropped in their tracks.

OP, maybe find someone with an upper you could borrow(if you were closer, you could borrow mine). I would rather shoot mine than any other gun I own.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased a Davidson Defense 10" 300 Blackout upper because it was cheap ($260). I have not shot it but if you want to try it CavMedic, I live within a few miles of Plainfield.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Good deals for 300blk can be had. Last batch I bought I paid like 35 cents a round which isn't much more than 223

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

I would add that SBRs and pistols fall into that niche. I had a 5.56 SBR for a home defense guy, but had it rebarrled in .300 simply because the .300 Blackout offers a harder hitting round (supersonics) out of the short barrel. The Vortex 110 gn black tip is pretty much the golden standard in .300 Blackout for things that go bump in the night. I do plan to suppress it one day, but made my decision based on supersonic .300 rounds being pretty damn good (better than 5.56/.223) out of short barrels. Yeah, kinda pricey ammo, but worth it for the small package it allows in the SBR form as a HD gun. Thanks to stupid ass laws, it would make a great truck gun in pistol form.

Top Bottom