• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Lately I have had to go into places out of my norm, ie Nashville proper, with all the snowflakes and crybabies uncivil unrest is a growing concern. After reading about the importance of blending in and not standing out I am wondering if I should alter my style? Yesterday I wore a pair of Jeans and oversized sweat shirt. For the most part no big deal although I did feel a little out of sorts. First of all I usually wear pants with large cargo pockets in the front, perfect spot for a surefire light etc. Yesterday I found out that putting my wallet in right back pocket was a no go due to where I like to wear my holster. It overlapped part of my pocket making getting my wallet in an out a real chore.

So my question is for me changing the way I dress most days is not going to work, So do people really Identify people who carry by the way they dress? Or is it some what of a urban myth?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lately I have had to go into places out of my norm, ie Nashville proper, with all the snowflakes and crybabies uncivil unrest is a growing concern. After reading about the importance of blending in and not standing out I am wondering if I should alter my style? Yesterday I wore a pair of Jeans and oversized sweat shirt. For the most part no big deal although I did feel a little out of sorts. First of all I usually wear pants with large cargo pockets in the front, perfect spot for a surefire light etc. Yesterday I found out that putting my wallet in right back pocket was a no go due to where I like to wear my holster. It overlapped part of my pocket making getting my wallet in an out a real chore.

So my question is for me changing the way I dress most days is not going to work, So do people really Identify people who carry by the way they dress? Or is it some what of a urban myth?

Being "gray" is more about not being noticed at all than it is about people suspecting that you're carrying.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

People who carry guns can pick out a CCer (or who we think is CCing) by their manner of dress because we do it too. Spotting the bottom of a Serpa is also a give-away, but again we know what it is.

Being really concealed may take some consideration on where your non-firearm stuff is located. When somebody reaches for their phone and when their spare mags are visible that's a pretty good clue. I've carried my wallet front right (yes, I have too much crap in my wallet for back right, it made my back hurt and that's why I went to a front pocket) so I'm sometimes conscious of how I reach for my wallet with a G26 or G19 at about 1530 (or 3:30 pm if you prefer).

When I see an unbuttoned, untucked shirt that's a size too big over a tucked-in t-shirt I assume CC since that's how I do it. Most just think I'm unfashionable, I am so it works for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jens high where they are supposed to be riding.
    Serpa in a good poition on the top of the jeans.
    Carhart 2XL "Tall" sweatshirt covers everything nicely.

Big flannel shirts with the tails out works as well.

This is my normal appearance. I always dress this way so no one ever suspects and those who know me are already aware.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People who carry guns can pick out a CCer (or who we think is CCing) by their manner of dress because we do it too. Spotting the bottom of a Serpa is also a give-away, but again we know what it is.

Being really concealed may take some consideration on where your non-firearm stuff is located. When somebody reaches for their phone and when their spare mags are visible that's a pretty good clue. I've carried my wallet front right (yes, I have too much crap in my wallet for back right, it made my back hurt and that's why I went to a front pocket) so I'm sometimes conscious of how I reach for my wallet with a G26 or G19 at about 1530 (or 3:30 pm if you prefer).

When I see an unbuttoned, untucked shirt that's a size too big over a tucked-in t-shirt I assume CC since that's how I do it. Most just think I'm unfashionable, I am so it works for me.

I am unfashionable and it is comfy.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I wear a lot of Dulth clothing. It is comfortable, roomy and thick. I doubt anyone could make out an outline of anything, including me :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    One of the first things i did when started carrying is change my wallet to weak side (left rear) pocket. I did not want to expose when just getting my wallet. It also keeps the weak side hand free if a mugging goes bad and I have to use the weak side hand to get a gun or knife away from me while drawing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the first things i did when started carrying is change my wallet to weak side (left rear) pocket. I did not want to expose when just getting my wallet. It also keeps the weak side hand free if a mugging goes bad and I have to use the weak side hand to get a gun or knife away from me while drawing.

O no longer carry a wallet. I have a nice clip. It holds my cash wrapped around my debit/credit/license/and Sams club cards. This is all I need and it fits in a front pocket. Any receipts get tucked in with the cash and removed when I get home.

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes

I did this also, I would wear most of my clothes a little oversized before I started carrying. I just continued that trend after. I don't think that most people notice someone CC'ing, most people are to absorbed in theor phones/companions/kids to look that "hard" at someone, IMO.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    A while back this became a big concern for me as I transitioned into a civilian job where a slew of factors required a slightly different approach to my EDC CCW. I settled on a snub nose revolver in that I could carry it AIWB with blue jeans and a stripper in my pocket and not look at all out of place at my work. Recently this scenario changed again for me and I'm back at the point of being able to dress any way I wish. I just showed my wife a deacon at church with a tuck- able inside waistband that was still obvious to the observant. Two days ago I showed her another that printed through his sweater. We always notice OC and my kids will as well. If you're wondering, the sheep may not notice you, the sheep dogs should, and the wolves probably will. This, assuming you don't try very hard.

If I see a fella in tac pants I definitely notice. If you've got cargo pockets bulging like a Paris Island recruit, I'll notice. Surely I'm not alone.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My Wifey comments that I look like a "social bagman" in worn jeans, older work boots, untucked flannel with a Henly shirt. My Carharrt jacket also shows some wear from my Welders Days in the Pipefitters. Ball Caps vary. I like Hunter Camo, but own some Military Units ones too.(Favs include a 1st Cav-Horse Soldiers-My older Brothers Unit)

I call it comfortable! My G21 does not print(IWB holster rig), nor does my 442 S&W Snub pull down the deep pockets on my jacket.

Summer is coming soon: Time for Cargo shorts, oversized plaid shirts. unbuttoned, with a colored "wife beater T shirt, and sneakers with short ankle socks.(or option for flip flops, if by the beach)

In closing, Grayman Style is what you make it!

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Being gray means blending in--if you're in tactical pants and an INGO shirt, you're busted, unless you're at the 1500 or other place where the majority of the people are dressed similarly. If you are 70 and wearing skinny jeans, you're busted. If you're over 30 and sagging, you're busted.

Practicing your every day activities while carrying (keys, wallet (get it off your butt--it skews your hips and destroys your back)) so if you're trying to stay concealed/low key (whatever that is to you), you'll be better off than simply wearing big clothing.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    O no longer carry a wallet. I have a nice clip. It holds my cash wrapped around my debit/credit/license/and Sams club cards. This is all I need and it fits in a front pocket. Any receipts get tucked in with the cash and removed when I get home.

I'm not even going to speculate where you hide the roll of 100s. The Treasurery Dept has less $$

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I am sure that LE professionals like experienced police officers, FBI agents, and Secret Service agents along with well trained and experience private security professionals are fairly good (but certainly not foolproof) at identifying people carrying firearms. But these hoodlums, thugs, and paid anarchists? No way! They have no clue.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    When I read these threads I am surprised at how many people wear cargo pants.:)
    I am not sure but I don't think the Wrangler cargo pants I wear would be considered tactical. I wear them for several reasons, one cost less than $20.00 they are all cotton, comfortable, my surefire fits in left front pocket, wallet in strong side front pocket. Also the belt loops are spaced out so that my owb holster sits exactly where I want it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Jeans, T-shirts or sweatshirts for me. I'd bet $500 at any point in time when I'm out and about that no one suspects I'm carrying. Now whether or not I can pull off the grey man approach I have doubts based on things people have said to me over the years concerning my appearance but guaranteed no one has any reason to believe I'm carrying if they don't know me.

Top Bottom