• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Looks like the short story is the gun show promoter is allergic to dogs and told the armed services veteran, who was going to be a vendor, he could not have his service dog at his show.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How big is this building? Bigger than a 10x12 shed and you wouldn't even know the dog was there.
    It's not like you are dropping a canister of nerve gas it's a freaking dog.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looks like the short story is the gun show promoter is allergic to dogs and told the armed services veteran, who was going to be a vendor, he could not have his service dog at his show.

I guess that would be the promoters privilege, but a stupid business move.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's his business and he should be able to deny service to whomever he chooses. At least, that's what I've read on INGO, so it must be right, right?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm not 100% sure but I thought it was illegal to deny access to someone with a service dog also.

This is from ADA's gov website,
    0. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
    Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    If the dog were to act aggressively I can see the point of barring him. I have encounter many service dogs in my career and never had any pay any attention to me let alone bark. In South Bend there used to be a vendor who brought his dog to every show and I would always stop and pet him and he never once showed any aggression(the dog not the owner).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Show was at the Nat. Guard Armory. Show runner is highly allergic to dogs. Veteran walked in on the Saturday of the show and asked if he could rent a table. Promoter said all tables were rented. Veteran pushed it, said he was a veteran, and asked if one table could be set up. Promoter caved and set one up. Guy made a couple trips to his car for stuff and returned on the last trip with the dog. Hilarity ensued.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's his business and he should be able to deny service to whomever he chooses. At least, that's what I've read on INGO, so it must be right, right?

I don't see why not. It's stupid and douchey. But, ideally that would be his right. I don't like telling people what to do on their own property. Of course, don't expect me to darken his door.

Since this wasn't his property, I don't think he has too much standing.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Ada also says allergies and fear of dogs are not valid excuses for excluding service dogs. I guess I won't be going to tri state shows anymore and I hope Stout Field and other armories no longer allows them use their facilities.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    Tom sets up at Louisville's National Gun Day where there are numerous vendors with their pets as well as many service dogs accompanyng customers. I'd say Tom stepped in it this time.

Top Bottom