• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for some feedback regarding the Red vs Green laser selection. My application is for a concealed carry pistol for use in night an day. I've read that Green is better for visibility, but red is a more stable laser for temp and longevity. Anybody care to hop onto a soap box and help me out?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    In some situations such as long distance of shooting from cover, the green laser would have a disadvantage of providing a visible line right back to your position.

Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    I have a viridian red on my 43 and my opinion is if green is better for distance it does not really matter since it's a pistol. That being said my red can shine out there pretty far no problem.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    So Red is winning so far. How about manufacturers? I am currently looking at a Crimson Trace. Thoughts on them vs some of the less expensive alternatives?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The main problem I have with CT is that if I am shooting right handed and have my finger off the trigger in the proper position, it will sometimes block the beam. Haven't had any other problems with it, and plenty bright enough for the range anticipated.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone have a Crimson Trace and a Viridian? Now I'm just trying to figure out why the CT is "better." I am only saying better because the CT is more money. Preferences from anyone with both?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I have Viridian C5Ls on a SAR K2 45 and a CZ P1 (green laser). I also have a green Crimson Trace on a 1911 and a red CT on a CZ. The green laser is more visible in all conditions with the flashing mode of the C5L the easiest to pick up. The major benefit of the Crimson Trace is the location on the grips and special holster are not required. One factor of the laser sights is they are best used a general indicator of the area of where the bullets will hit. The offset mounting of the laser only allows precise indication at the set range.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I agree with Jenks. I have 3 red crimson trace units, on a XD-S, kimber ultra CDP 'll, and a Ruger mkll. Same controls and at
    Defensive pistol ranges, they are great. JMHO.:ingo:

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    With all the help so far, I'm now teetering between the C5L and C5L-R for my S&W Shield. It's crazy how going from red to green bumps the price up $100+ MSRP. Even not from the vendor I am seeing price differences of $30-120. DAMN COLORS!!

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I had a Streamlight TLR2 on my rifle in Iraq. Very rugged and the laser is highly visible at day or night. We used our lasers quite often to deter vehicles from doing shifty things.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks CavMedic....doing some checking into Streamlight's subcomback laser/light combo's now! At first glance, it looks like only the TLR6 fits the subcompact pistol size. But at a great price so far.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I just put a viridian x5l on my glock 23, which replaced a CT red laser on glock 27. The green is brighter, doesn't add to the thickness of grip, and has a light. I also recently put a green viridian reactor on a glock 42. Its also much brighter compared to red lasers I've used. I vote green C5L or x5l.

I would also add, based on my experience with both, the red is plenty bright in dim/dark environments. The green is exceptional in bright sunlight. No comparison there. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a trick to keep track of the ALLEN wrenches.
    I fold a strip of orange duck tape over the "L" of the wrench.
    I lost several of the very tiny adjustment Allen.

Top Bottom