• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't generally post fluff or filler posts but lately something has been bugging me. It's a term we've all seen or heard and in some cases said or typed and I can't stand it.......

"FOR THE MONEY"

You know:
    It was the best car available, FOR THE MONEY.
    FOR THE MONEY that hot dog tasted just as good as a Porterhouse would have.
    They might not all be the prettiest but, FOR THE MONEY, the girls at Deja Vu get the job done just like Scores girls.

I mean... in my mind either something performs the task you need it to do or it doesn't. The money part is irrelevant.
    So it leaves me to question, are those people using the term FOR THE MONEY buying something that isn't meeting their needs or is it meeting their needs but because there are more expensive products that meet that need they feel the need to acknowledge it? Why downplay what you've purchased by saying that?

Now don't confuse the term FOR THE MONEY with other terms I've lost sleep over

COST vs VALUE or heaven forbid WORTH

Those can drive you insane. Just stay with me.... FOR THE MONEY..... WTF does it mean?

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I don't generally post fluff or filler posts but lately something has been bugging me. It's a term we've all seen or heard and in some cases said or typed and I can't stand it.......

"FOR THE MONEY"

You know:
    It was the best car available, FOR THE MONEY.
    FOR THE MONEY that hot dog tasted just as good as a Porterhouse would have.
    They might not all be the prettiest but, FOR THE MONEY, the girls at Deja Vu get the job done just like Scores girls.

I mean... in my mind either something performs the task you need it to do or it doesn't. The money part is irrelevant.
    So it leaves me to question, are those people using the term FOR THE MONEY buying something that isn't meeting their needs or is it meeting their needs but because there are more expensive products that meet that need they feel the need to acknowledge it? Why downplay what you've purchased by saying that?

Now don't confuse the term FOR THE MONEY with other terms I've lost sleep over

COST vs VALUE or heaven forbid WORTH

Those can drive you insane. Just stay with me.... FOR THE MONEY..... WTF does it mean?
    So a more important topic.. what is this scores with girls better than Deja Vue...?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    When asking questions on a message board and you don't get a good answer remember you get what you pay for.

That's my two cents at least.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have heard the expression by someone doing a job for the company they work for.

When questioned about the quality of their work they say "It's good enough for who it's for"

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Does the cost of an item never enter your mind when buying something? If so, good for you. For the rest of us, it is a consideration. With many things, a small increment in quality comes with a much higher price tag; for the money, some people will choose the lower priced option. Sometimes, the opposite is true - pay 20% more and get something that's twice as good; for the money, some people will choose the higher priced option.

For the money, on INGO you get what you pay for.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I have heard the expression by someone doing a job for the company they work for.

When questioned about the quality of their work they say "It's good enough for who it's for"

"It's good enough for the girls we go with" is how I've heard it ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, its an expression of value (not cost).

Value is what you get; cost is what they charged.

I recently got a good deal on an entry-level bolt rifle. I expect it'll be a good rifle, for the money. There are better rifles out there, but at much higher price points. I have nominal expectations for the accuracy of this rifle, but I do expect it to hit a pie plate out to 200 yds if I do my part.* If it does, I'll be satisfied that it is a good rifle for the money I spent.

I could spend much more (cost) and get the same results (less value). Spending 3x what I spent would get me a better rifle, but not for the money.

* That's one of my own phraseology pet peeves.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I'm going with it meaning, there's sexier more high speed low drag options available, but yeah it gets the job done. Why downplay it?, Imagine it were a highpoint. For the money it'll shoot, but if you up-play a high point :nuts:. So I guess it's just acknowledging that you realize its ugly. Yep, Moral of the story, Highpoints are ugly, what are we talking about.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    With many things, a small increment in quality comes with a much higher price tag; for the money, some people will choose the lower priced option. Sometimes, the opposite is true - pay 20% more and get something that's twice as good; for the money, some people will choose the higher priced option.

Ditto what LP1 said. A better description might be "good value for the price I paid", but it means the same thing. Not everyone wants to put a $600 scope on a $200 rifle.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have spent my companies money on some very fine meals while entertaining customers. I have also bought a hotdog from speedway. For the money both meal provided nourishment and made a turd.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Last year I bought a used motorcycle. I knew my budget, and I knew what I wanted.

I ended up staying within budget and getting everything I wanted except one thing: it's a gold-colored motorcycle. But it has all the options I wanted, and it was under my budget. So even though it wasn't perfect, it was only $6,100. I could have gotten everything I wanted for $8,500. Was getting blue paint instead of gold worth $2,400? Not to me. (Especially since it's other people looking at it; I can't see it while riding.)

I didn't get perfect, but for the money, I got the best bike.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm going with it meaning, there's sexier more high speed low drag options available, but yeah it gets the job done. Why downplay it?, Imagine it were a highpoint. For the money it'll shoot, but if you up-play a high point :nuts:. So I guess it's just acknowledging that you realize its ugly. Yep, Moral of the story, Highpoints are ugly, what are we talking about.

Yeah, I think this captures it.

It means, "Yeah, this ain't pretty, but its mine. And cheap."

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My first thought is cars. I have an Accord v-6 that I love. Paid $28K for it new. I can afford a Mercedes C-class sedan at roughly twice the cost, BUT FOR THE MONEY, I believe I got a lot more bang for the buck with the Honda.

Back in the late 60's I bought a new Sunbeam Alpine for $2600. great little car. I really wanted an MGB (The name) but it would have cost about $3200. $600 difference for basically the same performance.
    FOR THE MONEY, the Sunbeam was a hell of a deal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's the best option in a given price bracket.

Let's say I want to buy tires for my car. There are multiple options at $650 for a set. Some are more expensive due to advertising/brand recognition. They are not the best "for the money". Others actually perform better and represent a better value at the same price point. The best performer is, then, the best for the money. It does not mean it's the best tire, period. There may be a $1000 set that performs better. I may not need the extra performance (say, tires that will hold up to track days when I only drive in the city). I may not have the ability or desire to pay $1k for the tires. I may just not feel like being bothered with researching a near infinite amount of choices in multiple price brackets.

In decision making terms, I am satisficing. Selecting a product that satisfies my needs, while not necessarily worrying that it's the absolute best choice available. Without satisficing, you'd not be able to make the huge amount of decisions you make daily without even thinking about it. Simply deciding where to go out to eat could result in hours of deliberation as you weigh minute differences. There are actual case studies of people with frontal brain damage who's emotion are seriously blunted that cannot make simple decisions as they continue to weigh the logic of each decision for hours, optimizing, as they cannot feel satisified.

Top Bottom