• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Evening news with Lester Holt just had a segment on "Ghost guns." Apparently ANYONE can order ALL the parts thru the mail to build an AR platform semi auto rifle that is completely functional firearm. "No serial number and completely untraceable." I've never built an AR but I don't think this sounds quite correct. Perhaps someone with more experience in this arena could weigh in here.

They interviewed Chuck Schumer and he said he thought this was a bad idea but the NRA was so powerful nothing could be done about it. Sure surprised me what Chuck said !

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Except for the lower receiver which has a serial number. An AR doesn't work well without the lower receiver. Not traceable, kind of like every stolen gun in the country?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The story said the lower was less than 80% complete because it required the buyer to drill some holes. ATF considers it gun parts, not requiring a serial number, if it is less than 80% complete. I read a story about this company some time ago. I think NBC is correct in their reporting on this.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Absolutely correct information. Purchase 80% completed lower receiver and finish it yourself. It takes a little more machining than just drilling a few holes. Buy the rest of the parts and then put it together. The GCA 68 never made it illegal for an individual American to build their gun. Also GCA 68 required serial numbers on all firearms that were manufactured for sale. If you make a bunch of 80% ARs and sell them you will be in trouble if caught. I will also add that there are damn few firearms that can be traced for any purpose. Many have been sold by their original owners, many have been stolen, so trace data and attempts become irrelevant.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Evening news with Lester Holt just had a segment on "Ghost guns." Apparently ANYONE can order ALL the parts thru the mail to build an AR platform semi auto rifle that is completely functional firearm. "No serial number and completely untraceable." I've never built an AR but I don't think this sounds quite correct. Perhaps someone with more experience in this arena could weigh in here.

They interviewed Chuck Schumer and he said he thought this was a bad idea but the NRA was so powerful nothing could be done about it. Sure surprised me what Chuck said !

You can make your own Title I firearms without FFL and without serial numbers for your use as long as they do not enter the stream of commerce.

If you are making them for sale, then you will need an FFL and to begin stamping serial numbers.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    You can make your own Title I firearms without FFL and without serial numbers for your use as long as they do not enter the stream of commerce.

If you are making them for sale, then you will need an FFL and to begin stamping serial numbers.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use
    Please excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can never sell it? What, say, three years from the build you want to do a better job on another or in another cartridge/caliber and would like to sell the first one to fund the next? or maybe one's age makes it time to sell off possessions?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Please excuse my ignorance but does this mean that you can never sell it? What, say, three years from the build you want to do a better job on another or in another cartridge/caliber and would like to sell the first one to fund the next? or maybe one's age makes it time to sell off possessions?

Sell a gun . . . is that even allowed?:D

Eye, you can sell it. What controls is your "original intent" if you will (a one time sale or years and years between building and sale, etc.). If your intent was to make the gun for you and you alone and then three years later you want to sell it because "you like that gun but I want it in a different caliber" (the eternal gun nut proclamation), then stamp it with a serial number and sell it according to state and federal law.

Remember, if you are making guns for others, get an FFL.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    And if for some reason you don't want to stamp the lower, you can still take all the parts off it and put them on a store bought lower and sell it like that.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Sell a gun . . . is that even allowed?:D

Eye, you can sell it. What controls is your "original intent" if you will (a one time sale or years and years between building and sale, etc.). If your intent was to make the gun for you and you alone and then three years later you want to sell it because "you like that gun but I want it in a different caliber" (the eternal gun nut proclamation), then stamp it with a serial number and sell it according to state and federal law.

Remember, if you are making guns for others, get an FFL.

if you do EVENTUALLY sell it, do you not have to have a serial number on it, AND your name, city, and state engraved as well since you are the manufacturer?

Top Bottom