• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    If you missed in last night --go to NBC news online and look at "Ghost Gus" video or copy. What a bunch of BS. They showed a gunsmith receiving an AR type kit. He put it together in an hour or so and had "a gun that had no marks on it and was untrackable". They inferred that anyone could do this --even criminals. They showed the gunsmith shooting it at the range to make the point that it was a real operating weapon. Totally misleading and dishonest bit. As we all know, if it was a finished lower receiver, it would have a serial number on it, and be logged into the FFL holders books )totally traceable). If it was an "80% receiver" it would take a qualified gunsmith to make it a finished receiver and how many of them are criminals. Maybe that's why they showed the gunsmith receiving the package with all the parts in it.

I emailed the NRA,emailed NBC,and posted the facts on my Facebook page. I urge you to view the video/article and also take action. Enough is enough.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I can buy a 80% lower and make it functional in my garage. I'm not a gunsmith. I can order ar-15 rifle kits off many websites and have them shipped to my home. Same with a 80% lower kit. No I didn't watch the video but I disagree with what your saying.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I can buy a 80% lower and make it functional in my garage. I'm not a gunsmith. I can order ar-15 rifle kits off many websites and have them shipped to my home. Same with a 80% lower kit. No I didn't watch the video but I disagree with what your saying.
    I would have to assume you have a smattering of mechanical aptitude to be able to machine an 80% lower, the vast majority of people I know can't even figure out how to check their oil or change a headlight.

having seen some people's failed AR and AKM projects (and having been a mechanic and blueprinting and rebuilding several engines myself) I can say milling out that small pocket on an AR lower is not as easy as it looks. Yes you can knock one out in your garage, and yeah it can work, but most people are going to have to buy that extra $200 jig and a $50 router to get a workable result. NBC showed the 'builder' use a cordless drill for all of 5 seconds.

Futhermore, the anchor bought the kit, the ATF guy built and assembled it for them, presumably giving it back when they were done, wouldn't that be a felony? The result would be a ton different if NBC gave the kit to someone else, the anchor himself, a crew member or a random gang banger probably wouldn't be able to machine a lower.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If you missed in last night --go to NBC news online and look at "Ghost Gus" video or copy. What a bunch of BS. They showed a gunsmith receiving an AR type kit. He put it together in an hour or so and had "a gun that had no marks on it and was untrackable". They inferred that anyone could do this --even criminals. They showed the gunsmith shooting it at the range to make the point that it was a real operating weapon. Totally misleading and dishonest bit. As we all know, if it was a finished lower receiver, it would have a serial number on it, and be logged into the FFL holders books )totally traceable). If it was an "80% receiver" it would take a qualified gunsmith to make it a finished receiver and how many of them are criminals. Maybe that's why they showed the gunsmith receiving the package with all the parts in it.

I emailed the NRA,emailed NBC,and posted the facts on my Facebook page. I urge you to view the video/article and also take action. Enough is enough.

ALL of the networks are anti-gun, period. Generally, the non-gun owning public tends to side with gun owners, so long as they are given the facts, instead of the liberal, "the sky is falling" rhetoric. Make NO mistake, they have an agenda, and it is NOT to honor your constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    From what I've seen, all you really need a drill press and the jig. Seems pretty simple. Looks like a drill press makes it easier, but that's about it. The whole idea is a guy can make one himself with pretty much hand tools?
    While I am positive there are people out there who would build these for nefarious purposes, and some will sell their completed lowers, the vast majority of these will be built by guys who just like doing things themselves, for no more purpose than to have fun with it.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    From what I've seen, all you really need a drill press and the jig. Seems pretty simple. Looks like a drill press makes it easier, but that's about it. The whole idea is a guy can make one himself with pretty much hand tools?
    While I am positive there are people out there who would build these for nefarious purposes, and some will sell their completed lowers, the vast majority of these will be built by guys who just like doing things themselves, for no more purpose than to have fun with it.

My understanding is that the builder must stamp some type of serial number on the lower. Isn't this a federal law ?

Top Bottom