• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a quick question... I just bought a Krag carbine (sporter) off Gunbroker and it was manufactured in 1899. Seller says no FFL required since it's an antique, but do I still need to log it in my bound book (and thus get his FFL or driver's license info)? I told him that I would need a scan of his DL or a copy of his FFL, but then I started wondering if that was really the case.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I could be wrong but I thought the antique cutoff was '98 for some reason. There is also some gray area if it has been sporterized as to whether it's a C&R any more. I have read both ways especially when the 'metal' is untouched and just the stock has been cut down or replaced.

Looking forward to to hearing more thoughts in this one.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I believe the cut off is 1898 for antique and anything after would have to be transferred like normal. Which would require a copy of his DL for your book

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I could be wrong but I thought the antique cutoff was '98 for some reason. There is also some gray area if it has been sporterized as to whether it's a C&R any more. I have read both ways especially when the 'metal' is untouched and just the stock has been cut down or replaced.

Looking forward to to hearing more thoughts in this one.

I believe the cut off is 1898 for antique and anything after would have to be transferred like normal. Which would require a copy of his DL for your book

I was also thinking that 1898 was the cutoff, so I think the CYA thing to do would be for me to get his info and log it in my book. Thanks guys. Better safe than sorry!

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Yes, 1898 is the 'cutoff' date. You also are supposed to log all your firearm acquisitions and disposal while you keep a valid '03 FFL (C&R).

Just a question.. Did you not receive a rule book, information regarding this FFL? (I haven't had a valid '03 FFL since 2007.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Before 1899, no need to log it at all.
    1899 and later, must go into the book.

In this case, the seller is wrong and logging it isn't just for CYA - it's the law. Get his details for your book.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, 1898 is the 'cutoff' date. You also are supposed to log all your firearm acquisitions and disposal while you keep a valid '03 FFL (C&R).

Just a question.. Did you not receive a rule book, information regarding this FFL? (I haven't had a valid '03 FFL since 2007.)

I don't recall getting a rule book, but I did read through the ATF documentation at the time. Just couldn't remember reading about "antique" firearms.

Before 1899, no need to log it at all.
    1899 and later, must go into the book.

In this case, the seller is wrong and logging it isn't just for CYA - it's the law. Get his details for your book.

Yep, that was the source of my confusion I think. He said it was antique, but said it was an 1899 manufacture date. That's really what prompted me to ask the question here because I think in the back of my mind I knew that 1898 was the cutoff. I actually only need his name and address since he is the seller. If he was the buyer, then I would need to record his drivers license or FFL number. Since he already gave me his name and address I should be good to go.

Thanks again to everyone that replied! :ingo:

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN

That's not quite accurate. You must log in and out ALL C&R firearms acquired or disposed of while you hold the license. Firearms that are not C&R do not belong in the log book.

Top Bottom