• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I do not carry or own a 1911 pistol. For those who do carry on. Training is the key factor regardless if you carry a striker fired gun with no external safety, or a 1911 with a manual safety.

From USCCA, "Every once in a while, I see something so egregious on the internet that I feel I have to step in and say something. The most recent whopper was this statement: A safety on a firearm will get you killed!"

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/safety-wont-get-killed/

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I don't know how many times I've seen it at a training class, steel plate challenge or some kind of a match that someone forgets to click off their safety. I know for me I will never carry a handgun with an external safety. Is it a training issue, sure it is but it's not for me.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree that safety of any kind can be a real issue.

I sold everything off and now its Glock only for me. Just pull and pinch.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everything has pro's and con's. Yes, it's a training issue. However it's more difficult than the vast majority seem to believe. Standing on a static range with no time pressure and clicking off the safety is easy. Add in time pressure, it's tougher. Occupy the mind with other things, like an attacker, and it's tougher. Injure the shooter's hand, it's tougher. Grapple the shooter and jerk them around as they try to draw, it's tougher.

Even with the limited social pressure of being in a class in front of others, getting the safety off can fall apart. I've seen way more issues with 1911s in classes than any other type of gun. The issue typically isn't the gun, it's failing to get the safety all the way off.

I've personally been in a fight that left my thumb broken to the point that I would not be able to deactivate a safety in the traditional way.

So, yes, it's a training issue. Are you training to do it under intense pressure? From multiple positions? While injured? While being jerked around by an assailiant? I've seen cases where the answer was "no" or "not enough" and the person was victimized as a result.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'd argue that a 1911 safety is different than a lot of others. Most that I've used have a very large safety lever that is easy to disengage. A lot of modern guns have much smaller safeties that would be difficult to disengage under stress. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom