• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Also one of the last privately held Sporting Goods chains left.

I haven't used them much which might contribute to their loss of revenue last year. I prefer to buy from independent local shops like XZ Guns and MGE.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    High prices or not MC Sports and Gander firearms and ammo etc is a lower % of what they are in buisness for. Sure the higher prices do T help but most everything else is high as well with the exception of a sale here or there

So even with the firearm boom the last 8 years this bankruptcy of MC and Gander doesn't surprise me.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    When I lived in Bloomington, they were one of the few places with handguns.
    Not the biggest selection, but i always found the sales prices decent

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We talk about the prices being higher as in MSRP being cause for the stores troubles. I think the high overheads that depend on selling $1000's of dollars a day of way overpriced fashion clothing is a poor business model. Look at the square footage in those stores dedicated to clothing. Granted, some of the clothes are specialty items that are price accordingly. Most however, are just like clothes at any other place with an "outdoorsey" style. Just how big of a volume of $90 sweatshirts and $32 "T" shirts can be sustained?

I was one of the people that spoke several times with the Manager about stocking reloading components. That ended up being a disaster. When they finally did, it was some over packaged, odd stuff that was priced beyond reality. Like a 50 pack of brass that cost more than 50 rounds of top quality premium ammo. Who would buy that? The store management clearly did not do their market research before they filled that floor space.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Sad. The one in Columbus recently closed. Went in to look for deals but didn't find anything I wanted. I used to work at the ft wayne store, before it moved into the mall.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, the MC Sports in Muncie has had a store closing sale going on for what seems like close to six months now. Tried to shop there, but they were expensive, and rarely had sales. Our Dunham's just closed a few months ago too. They were expensive too, but at least had regular "sales" that would bring the prices back down to what would should be normal.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Think I bought a pair of ski goggles there about 20 years ago when they first opened in Bourbonnais IL. just because. Sky high prices and nothing I couldn't get at Wally Mart so I have never gone back. They had no firearms or the related like most of IL.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Expect MANY stores that sell guns to fold. The last 8 years' sales have been predicated on gun grabbers in the white house. Now that the threat is gone (or at least minimized) sales have gone poof. We (collectively) have overspent over the past 8 years preparing for the worst. Now we all have WAY more than we need, so normal supply/demand models are out the window. We no longer NEED to buy guns, etc because we already have what we need, and then some.

Hell, I was in Bradis after work today after a bit of a hiatus, and I cant remember the last time I was in there that they were that quiet. I pulled up and literally thought "are they even open?" there were so few cars in the lot. Normally I have to park around the corner between the two buildings, but I was able to park up front because there was only 1 car in the lot.

its a good thing I guess. I just hope that they didnt squander the spoils of the last 8 years' sales.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Expect MANY stores that sell guns to fold. The last 8 years' sales have been predicated on gun grabbers in the white house. Now that the threat is gone (or at least minimized) sales have gone poof. We (collectively) have overspent over the past 8 years preparing for the worst. Now we all have WAY more than we need, so normal supply/demand models are out the window. We no longer NEED to buy guns, etc because we already have what we need, and then some.

Hell, I was in Bradis after work today after a bit of a hiatus, and I cant remember the last time I was in there that they were that quiet. I pulled up and literally thought "are they even open?" there were so few cars in the lot. Normally I have to park around the corner between the two buildings, but I was able to park up front because there was only 1 car in the lot.

its a good thing I guess. I just hope that they didnt squander the spoils of the last 8 years' sales.

Summed it up very well. I have most everything I need as well. Not much need for me to go to the local gun shops lately. Going to be the same way at gun shows, attendance will be down. These next few years will be hard on gun shops.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    In Laporte and Michigan City prices are high. Also limited selection in M.C. of ammo.
    Went in MC a few months back, zero spots for 7.62x39 ammo, and high prices on everything in the store. Looked at their weights, other hunting equipment, even 9mm ammo, nothing was cheap enough or competitive.

People try making a big deal of small online operations killing business, but most of those places have their own real warehouses and store fronts as well, they just have a 'stack it deep and sell it cheap' mentality I'm sure most of us would gladly pay a few extra per round to shoot today, versus going online and waiting a week for cheaper ammo. But I cannot see spending 50 cents a round when the same stuff goes for 23 cents online, but I gladly pay my LGS 26 cents to get it today. These retailers are out of touch with their customer base.

I seen the ad for mc sports in my email today 'everything must go, all brands in sale' 'nothing held back' '*excludes firearms and ammunition' well darn, had me until the asterisk then they lost me

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    ** Excludes firearms and ammunition. Thats always interesting. It shows how high the margins are on the $90 sweatshirts and $30 t-shirts.

For sure, the market is going to experience some contractions. The Monkey and others are correct... Everyone (most of us) were planning for Hillary so we bulked up.

I also urged a local GS to stock reloading components. I'm not in the market for any new firearms but always looking for components. They started to stock some but the prices were high. $35 for some 1#ers when I can get it for $27 or less. At least having components priced competitively would have got me back in the door- hint- I may look at your gun inventory while I'm there, but no I'll keep driving now. 

:ingo:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Went in today to find a few things for the kid's baseball season, cheapest mitt was $25 or so, most shelves packed full, majority of things only 10% off, saw giant orange tag on an AR, SAME 15-22 I looked at late December, when they said it was the last one, still $399, box of cheap Tula 223 is nearly $8 for 20, can't see how they stayed in business as long as they did with how out of touch they are.

90% of the store is 10% off, deepest discounts are on the jungle of clothes they have. If they ever choose to blow out ammo and can beat mail order, I'll step back in, otherwise they can't pull in customers EVEN with a going out of business sale. Only thing worth buying was a $3 shotgun sling. When I go pheasant hunting again my arms will thank them for that

Top Bottom