Proper way to sell used handguns in Indiana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • friedmarlin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    I have a couple of handguns that I am considering selling in Indiana. I bought them through a gun dealer about 20+ years ago and I have never sold a handgun.

What are the requirements ? Do I have to do a transfer through a FFL dealer or just a bill of sale, etc. ?

Is it different if I sold it to someone from out of state (KY) ? I live 20 mins. from Louisville, KY.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    For Indiana Residents-you need nothing, but wise to get a bill of sale
    -You must go through a FFL for out of state transfers.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For Indiana Residents-you need nothing, but wise to get a bill of sale
    -You must go through a FFL for out of state transfers.

The FFL must be licenced in the same state that the purchaser resides.

If you do not want to do a bill of sale (I've done it both ways depending on what the seller wanted... some people are offended or refuse to do this) it may also be wise to ask to "see" a driver's license (shows residency, shows a good faith attempt and obeying the interstate laws) and a LTCH (shows good faith attempt that the person is not a prohibited person).

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    I have a couple of handguns that I am considering selling in Indiana. I bought them through a gun dealer about 20+ years ago and I have never sold a handgun.

What are the requirements ? Do I have to do a transfer through a FFL dealer or just a bill of sale, etc. ?

Is it different if I sold it to someone from out of state (KY) ? I live 20 mins. from Louisville, KY.

:welcome: to :ingo:......:draw:

redneckjoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    beech grove
    as long as you don't knowingly know that the person you are selling the gun to can not have the gun legally than you OK to go but a bill of sales is a mind helper i think

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Flintlock is taking a terrible risk with his way of selling!!!
    Here's a couple scenarios that could happen.

You could unknowingly sell to a convected felon, they will lie to you about their criminal history.

What if you buy a pistol from a guy with no paperwork, an hour later, the Police knock on your door and say that they have a report of a stolen pistol, and it happens to be the one you just bought?

You sell a pistol, then a crime is committed with the pistol, they find the criminal with a pistol that is in your name. I hope for your sake the dirt bag did not shoot anybody with your gun.....

Or, track ballistics on the gun that shot shot some one in a crime, and it comes back to you......

As gun owners, we MUST be smart about how we deal with this stuff. The guys at CNN love stories like this! They LOVE to make us look STUPID!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Sample Bill of Sale

Here's a sample bill of sale I've used (get a photocopy or photo of the buyer's/seller's IN driver's license as proof of residency, or at least copy both parties DL numbers on the signed bill of sale:

This is pretty comprehensive:

BILL OF SALE

THIS AGREEMENT is made this ____ th day of ______, 20___, by and between ____________ ______________ of _____________, Indiana, hereinafter referred to as Buyer, and _______________ _______________, of _________________, Indiana, hereinafter referred to as Seller.

The parties hereby ACKNOWLEDGE that this AGREEMENT is made for the purchase and sale of a firearm, described as follows in paragraph A below, on the following terms and conditions as set forth herein.

NOW THEREFORE, for good and valuable consideration, receipt of which the parties hereby acknowledge, the parties AGREE AS FOLLOWS:

A. Description of Firearm
    Make: ______________
    Model: ______________
    Serial No.: __________________

B. Consideration
    In consideration of the total sum of $___________, SELLER agrees to sell and BUYER agrees to buy the said firearm described hereinabove in paragraph A as a cash purchase paid in full on the date of signing.

C. Warranties
    (1) SELLER warrants s/he has clear ownership to said firearm;
    (2) SELLER makes no other warranties, express or implied, including
    the warranties of fitness for a particular purpose except as may be otherwise provided for in this AGREEMENT;
    (4) BUYER warrants s/he is in compliance with State of Indiana law regarding firearm ownership. BUYER warrants that s/he is:
    a. over 18 years of age
    b. has never been convicted of a felony
    c. does not abuse alcohol or legal or illegal drugs
    d. is mentally competent;
    (3) BUYER warrants that BUYER has had and has executed the option to review the condition of the firearm, including any inspections, at BUYER’s expense.

D. Risk of Loss
    (1) Pending delivery to Buyer, which delivery shall be memorialized by BUYER’s signature on a receipt for delivery, SELLER shall assume the risk of loss, and upon receipted delivery to BUYER, BUYER shall assume the risk of loss.
    (2) In the event of loss prior to receipted delivery to BUYER, SELLER shall return to BUYER any deposit paid by BUYER.

__________________ ____________________
    SELLER BUYER

Signature Signature

Address Address

Photocopy of Indiana Driver's Licenses:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    A lot of people buy from private sellers specifically to prevent any paper trail. Obviously, as the seller, the sale can only happen on terms you agree with but that might be something to consider when you are limiting your potential buyers.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I'm with Flintlock. If their word is not worth anything, they can fake any other document you could ask for. At some point I have to trust someone or I just don't see the point of living. I have been boned very few times. I am creeping up on being old. If they seem fishy, I bow out real quick.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have bought and sold many guns privately and always pay cash and geta gun.

If I have purchased it from a dealer and there is a paper trail to me...it gets sold back through a dealer when it leaves my possession. Luckily...I have none of these weapons left!!! yee-haaww!!!

The best guns to buy are the ones that if the paper trail is followed....leads not to you, but directly to a guy that's been dead for 5 years!! LOL

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    Many people buy FTF simply to avoid the paper trail, as was stated earlier. But there are other reasons that a person might balk at a bill of sale with too much info. I had a case of identity theft a few years ago and there is no way on God's green Earth that I am giving out my DL# to a stranger. I have no idea what you are going to do with my address, full name, DL# and any other personal info. There are enough scammers out there to make me careful. The law says that you cannot "knowingly" do a lot of things...so ask...then make your transaction.

Top Bottom