• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    I went to summer camp when I was younger at the YMCA and we did all kinds of things. One thing that I remember doing was Archery. I enjoyed it alot. But since I have had my children, the YMCA does not do that. Is there anything like that that my kids can do???? I think that they would enjoy doing those things and I think that it would help get my children ready to upgrade to a bb gun and then maybe on to learning how to shoot. What do you all say???? Input would be greatly appriciated and helpful. Thanks in advance.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the boy scouts still has what they refer to as field sports. the cubs shoot bb guns and archery. the boys scouts, particularly at summer camp, shoot .22's, 20ga shotguns and archery. the venture scouts can shoot just about anything that's legally owned in the us.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    the boy scouts still has what they refer to as field sports. the cubs shoot bb guns and archery. the boys scouts, particularly at summer camp, shoot .22's, 20ga shotguns and archery. the venture scouts can shoot just about anything that's legally owned in the us.

LOL I would so love to have 4 boys. Unfortunatly I live with 4 girls including Tink! :runaway: My son is only 2 so maybe, HOPEFULLY I can get him involved in scouts. Being an Eagle Scout myself and member of the Order of the Arrow, I would LOVE to get back into it. We went to Philmont and shot some REALLY nice OverUnders. 5 outta 5 clays first try without handling a gun for almost a year at that point! Anyway, I've emailed that guy with the Kamp to check it out. Sounds like a lot more fun than any YMCA! Our 9 and 6 yo girls take after their momma when it comes to the outdoors (Eew, bugs! AHHH! kinda thing) but I'm hoping to change all that. :lmfao::thumbsup:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    My kids are involved in 4H they have a shooting sports division. This is my 7th year in 4H. Most people think that 4H is all about farming and animals. But there are many other projects that a kid can do. There are many kids in 4H that do not have animals or even a yard let alone a farm. Our club offers archery, muzzel loading, rifle, shot gun and pistol. They have camps as well, my daughter goes to camp next week. To find out more about 4H in your area contact your local county extension office they can put you in contact with the different clubs in your area.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    LOL I would so love to have 4 boys. Unfortunatly I live with 4 girls including Tink! :runaway: My son is only 2 so maybe, HOPEFULLY I can get him involved in scouts. Being an Eagle Scout myself and member of the Order of the Arrow, I would LOVE to get back into it. We went to Philmont and shot some REALLY nice OverUnders. 5 outta 5 clays first try without handling a gun for almost a year at that point! Anyway, I've emailed that guy with the Kamp to check it out. Sounds like a lot more fun than any YMCA! Our 9 and 6 yo girls take after their momma when it comes to the outdoors (Eew, bugs! AHHH! kinda thing) but I'm hoping to change all that. :lmfao::thumbsup:

Also you might get to meet Ted Nugent as well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yep...4-H does archery and firearms. I always love to look through the books they make and submit for judging at county fairs. Many camps offer the same. Just call around.
    My kid goes to camp every year and her favorite activity is recurve.
    Oh, yeah...it's a church camp. :D

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Girl Scouts don't do quite as many roughing-it things as boys do anymore, but if you get them involved in the summer camps they do still do field archery and that sort of thing. Unless the troop leaders are gung-ho campers, you'll have to actually read that Summer Camp magazine you get in the mail, but now that the Councils in central Indiana have consolidated, they've expanded and restructured the programs quite a bit.

clicky-->Girl Scouts of Central Indiana

PS... Girl Scouts start in Kindergarten. :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Our oldest is going to GS camp this summer. Her and the 6yo are both going I think. But it's only for a weekend so I don't think they'll get to do much. My BS Camp at Old Ben Scout Reservation in Petersburg, we went for a week and they have an archery range(?yrds), and a rifle/shotty range for clays and targets. I think it's up to 75 yrds. It was real nice down there.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I know Camp Dellwood at least has an archery range. It's where I spent my free time when I was volunteering there as a girl at Day Camp (which is during the week). Granted, that was 15 years ago, but when I was there a couple of years ago, the archery range was still there.

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    I know a little bit about Girl Scouts. My oldest and second daughter's are in them. I haven't checked out about the camps though. I know my oldest is going to camp in June. I just wish they had camps like when I was little for the kids now.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I know a little bit about Girl Scouts. My oldest and second daughter's are in them. I haven't checked out about the camps though. I know my oldest is going to camp in June. I just wish they had camps like when I was little for the kids now.
    It's not too late to be involved and help shape what the camps offer -- you can still go to camp if you want!! :) Scouts (both Boys and Girls) and a million other kids' organizations are always looking for volunteers. :)

BTW... Indianapolis is hosting this year's GSUSA National Convention Oct. 31 - Nov. 2. The National Convention only occurs every three years, and the host city changes each time, so this is a HUGE honor for the local Council and the city. Additionally, the Indiana State Museum will have a special exhibit for Girl Scouts in Indiana starting Nov. 1. My mom has about five boxes worth of memorabilia we've collected over the last 25 years that she offered to the Council and Museum to use in the exhibit. :)

Last edited:

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    I heard about the Convention. I will have to find out how to get more info on it. Were you a GS? What else do you know that the kids can get into?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I heard about the Convention. I will have to find out how to get more info on it. Were you a GS? What else do you know that the kids can get into?

I have a lifetime membership card. I started when I was 6 and haven't stopped since.

I'll send you a PM or email tomorrow so as not to bore the boys anymore than I already have. :)

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Alright, but I think the boys should learn to deal with it since we learn to deal with all their man talk, LOL.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'll send you a PM or email tomorrow so as not to bore the boys anymore than I already have. :)

You couldn't bore us Pami! Not that I mind you PMing Natalie since I'll getta hear about it anyway! That is unless it "girl talk" and y'all'd rather me not know! LOL

Top Bottom