• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Wonder if the handgun was legal or stolen. Did he have an Indiana license? Was he a convicted felon? Was the rifle stolen?

Lots of questions with few answers in the report. It would be nice to here what he is charged with and if any weapons related charges are included.

You are right, this doesn't help those who lawfully own guns for protection except that it shows the the criminal is armed for the "alleged" break in.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Im over the liberal ******** media brand name words.

"ASSAULT RIFLE"

What **** is that? If I stab you with a spork, I have assaulted you. Does this make it an assault spork?

If its a black spork, does it now become an "Evil Black Assault Spork"?

If it has a longer handle than the normal spork, does it now become an "Evil Black Assault Spork with high capacity handle"?

Seriously.

You. Yes you. The liberal media:

Fu#@!$%^^ck Off

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    +1 and another +1 to jontheturboguy. The media talking heads are all a bunch of idiots. They all show their total lack of understanding of any subject matter on a daily basis. Where do they find these people?
    Not only do they parrot the buzz words about guns, they get most all facts wrong about any non-household item. How many stories talk about gasoline when talking about jet airplanes or semi-trucks? When an airplane "stalls", they think it refers to the engine. The news media just repeats all the urban myths and popular misconceptions..

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Now I don't think the spork is an evil assault spork until it has a flash hider and bayonet lug. Oh and has hi-capacity spork-points. Those are evil.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Now I don't think the spork is an evil assault spork until it has a flash hider and bayonet lug. Oh and has hi-capacity spork-points. Those are evil.

Ah, yes. The much-feared much-maligned ten-prong black spork.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish

"ASSAULT RIFLE"

What **** is that? If I stab you with a spork, I have assaulted you. Does this make it an assault spork?

If it has a longer handle than the normal spork, does it now become an "Evil Black Assault Spork with high capacity handle"?

Seriously.

Fu#@!$%^^ck Off
    I like the cut of your jib, son.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Pami purchased a Titanium Spork for me around Christmas. I'm seriously considering buying another just so I can sharpen the edges :rockwoot:

You have to paint it black though... and add a bayonet lug and collapsible handle. :thumbsup:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The funny thing is we see bean bags from shotguns lying all over the place at Eagle Creek, from when the police train during the week. Glad to know those things work.

The talking heads are exactly that. I was a communications student and have a degree in it. They just give the news. Most stations hire writers. Keep in mind, these writers (from my personal experience) are not english or science majors. It may shock you to think that they dont have majors at all. A majority of writers I have seen are not college grads. They are installed under an almost nepotism system. The people that run the media outlet themselves (usually a larger conglomerate, but occasionally a single/group of people) call the shots. They will often want certain words attributed to the story, BUT THIS IS RARE!!!! The uppers rarely get into what is said on a news story. This is the same about newspapers and radio. Keep in mind, many of the reporters are getting their facts (here it comes, flame away, but this is REALITY, sickening as it is) from either:
    1. Police public relations officer: Usually going on third hand information regarding a situation and are NEVER firearm informed. Also, due to their positions, they see only negative things about firearms, they sometimes have to visit funerals and give condolences to families. This will breed anti-gun views on part of the PR officer.
    2. Officers on scene: Once again, this can be and has usually been (in my 3 years interning and actual interviewing) second hand information. They will not usually let press past a certain area, and usually will have an upper officer (supervisor or such) give a mini- press conference regarding what happened. Keep in mind: at the scene, police have not been appropriately debriefed and may not be giving all the details perfectly as they have seen them to a super. This is why stories commonly change after approximately 4-8 hours after an event. The press are given information at scene (rarely correct, very vague) and then change it when the police "get their stories straight" and give a real conference (or press packet as we got all the time over telefax).

I get very bothered when people get mad at the media. Keep in mind, most do not know about firearms and never will. They are given information from sources, not from within. Info from within is called "editorials". As a person who has not only worked for the media as an intern slave :D, I have also performed interviews (for written media) and ran the campus station (TV, mostly radio) for a while. The media is not to blame. The way information is obtained, then filtered to the public is.

There is a long standing belief that the media will distort facts. This is VERY VERY rare and usually seen on movies. The idea of the sensationalist reporter breaking into places for information or houding folks is never the norm (their careers dont last 6 months). HOWEVER, there has always been an influence present in the media: Disinformation. As a media man, I never got other information than what I recieved. Take this for example:
    Man kills wife, then self. Terrible thing yeah? All I have to interview at the point of writing or airing is the grieving family. The concerned police, as a firearm was used. See the point?
    There was never or rarely an opposing force to the anti-arguement. Why? No one sought us out! That is how we get info! Something like this happens as in the original post, then write your media. Not letters slathering in their misinformation (thats not an assault rifle, etc..) but analyze the situation and offer a constructive point (as a firearms owner in Indy, I feel that these actions endanger our private ownership of weapons,etc...)

Just my 2 cents, some change, and fact...

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Most of the liberal media folks couldn't tell an assault rifle from a semi-automatic and wouldn't tell the truth about it anyway.

Don't themthere media folks know that a salt pork is something we'uns cook in our pot of beans? lol

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

"ASSAULT RIFLE"

Seriously.

Fu#@!$%^^ck Off
    I don't think you're completely wrong in this, though I will say that at least they said "assault rifle" as opposed to "assault weapon". The former at least DOES have a recognized definition based on the function of the firearm. That said, call me skeptical that the firearm in question was select-fire OR had an ATF tax stamp, much less both.

In short, unless it actually was capable of select-fire, their "assault rifle" is still the wrong word and is used for sensationalism.

In light of this, please carry on with the
    Fu#@!$%^^cking Off
    :thumbsup:
    :+1:
    Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom