• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Being new to the field of gun ownership, I did an online search to try to find instructions on how to properly clean my guns. The procedure I more-or-less settled on was from (IIRC) guns magazine:

- Run 2-3 patches with solvent through the bore and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. (While it's sitting, I use the time to scrub the bolt and the inside of the receiver with a toothbrush and more solvent--using Hoppes #9 Bench Rest at the moment.)

- Run a brush through the bore several times

- Run patches through the bore, alternating wet (with solvent) and dry. When the dry patch comes out clean, you're done. If after several times it's still coming out dirty, go back to the beginning and start over.

I've modified that to running 2 or three dry patches after each wet one since the first dry patch _always_ come out with solvent on it making it hard to tell if it's also picking up residue.

Since, following those directions, I always end up going back to the beginning at least twice, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Advice?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's hard to tell with the information provided. Pistols will be different from rifles, pistols will be different from pistols, and rifles will be different from rifles. One method will not work for all your firearms. I clean my Glock in ten minutes, but it takes me about six times longer for my precision rifle.

If you're talking about an AR, is the bore chrome-lined? If not has it been lapped? If not, has it been "broken-in"? How many rounds did you fire? What ammo did you use? Are you using a proper sized brush or jag (copper solvent will actually erode them)?

All these factors will affect your cleaning to some degree.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Ruger 10/22 with a factory barrel (note, I also have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 but I've only shot a total of 20 rounds through it so far). I've been shooting Remington "Golden Bullets" and Federal "Champion" through it, generally about 150 rounds per session.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    While I have no experience with your rifles, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Run your patches in one direction (from chamber to crown).
    2. When you run your brush (from chamber to crown), ensure to completely exit the bore before pulling it back to avoid cramping the brush and jamming gunk into the bore's pores.

Again, there are many things that will affect your cleaning, but I think you're okay.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    For your 10/22 you will find all the info you will ever need on it specifically on RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms if you did not know of that site already. With that said, with the 10/22 some people clean them only about every 10,000 rounds or so, no joke. I clean mine about every 2-3,000 but only lightly and it only takes a few minutes.

Like was mentioned every firearm is different, so there will be some learning curve with each new one for quite a while.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Since I own a SIG I visit thier web site a bit. They have videos on how to maintain thier pistols, but I suppose it could apply to any pistol. Here is the link:

Customer Service: Owner's Manual

It has 5 videos, a Intro, Cleaning, Inspection, Lubrication and Reassembly.

As I said some of it pertains only to the SIG (breakdown and reassembly), however the cleaning, inspection may help...perhaps the lube may give some insight.

If nothing else it's interesting to watch and pickup some info.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've not figured out why Sigs are so reliable. Looking at the P6 with the grip panels removed. That thing sure looks like a clockwork piece of precision machinery. I wouldn't normally equate "clockwork" with "robust"

Sig defies logic.

That said, The videos on the Sig site really are pretty good.

Top Bottom